Author Topic: Question about emag and bow of the month  (Read 5287 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Question about emag and bow of the month
« on: October 13, 2023, 03:05:00 pm »
Do you not get to vote or have access to bow of the month if you don’t have a subscription ?
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Question about emag and bow of the month
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2023, 09:53:07 am »
The vote is usually posted in the bow of the month category here, no subscription is necessary to participate. I usually get an email alerting me to the latest entries.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2023, 10:03:05 am »
Same here...but it has been awhile...
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2023, 06:00:47 pm »
Ok so no bow of the month lately. Ok  just been awhile.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2023, 09:18:58 pm »
Yup. It appears once they went digital interest is almost non existent. Even if you win bow of the month don't expect to be featured or even the hat you're supposed to get. I've inquired several times and get the same old excuse...
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline superdav95

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2023, 10:25:53 pm »
This ties into the issue over the magazine.  Personally I think going to the emag was a mistake. It hurt readership a lot of the folks on here are not digital kind people.  Many are more hands on hand tool types. Heck some of you don’t even do online banking.   I find it odd then that they would move to digital knowing that many are not likley to access it.  Not by choice so much as just knowing how to do it and being intimidated or perplexed by it all.  There are those that may think this is the wave of the future and best get on board.  That dose t go over too well with folks in this category.  They just soon say we’ll I guess that’s it then.  No more magazines and don’t subscribe to the emag.  The hard copy magazine was tangible in your hands great.  This digital stuff is lost on so many here I suspect myself included.  Btw I’m still waiting to get my bom hat for the last entry I had.  I also enquired with no response.  This has been the case since the digital format emag.   Just sayin.   
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2023, 11:15:00 pm »
I am a moderator here, may not be after this response, I agree with you totally superdav95. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2023, 02:49:44 am »
Pappy, as long as PA exists you will be a moderator.  :OK 
 And I agree with Dave also but the truth of the matter is during the pandemic everything went to $hit for PA like many other companies and many of those other companies no longer exist. The printers and access to their needed materials and the storage and distribution of the magazine all went to hell. Primitive Archer Magazine is literally a father/daughter operation not some large corporation. I have to give Monroe and Marie lots of credit for keeping PA going for as long as they have.
I'm with many of you guys in that I don't do digital either but I will support PA and this forum until it's last breath. We are very lucky that PA has supported this forum and the only thing they ask is for our support also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline simk

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2023, 08:28:40 am »
Sad story.
I'd suggest to open BOM for non subscribers - that might bring back a few bowmakers into it.
cheers
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2023, 09:46:45 am »
Thanks Pat, I love PA also and understand, just wished there was more I could do. Seems really dead and started when Magazine went digital, very sad. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2023, 09:52:03 am »
I subscribe to the Emag, I don't read it, not much in it I am interested in. I subscribe to make a donation to help keep the Primitive Archer website up, I really enjoy this site especially Pappy's "Life is Good' thread and Bjrogg's "Life on the Farm" as well.

I would hope that readers here look past the Emag and help keep this site up and running with a donation by the way of a subscription.

I donate to all of my favorite flintlock sites as a thank-you for all the information I have learned that helped me become a pretty good gun builder. One of my favorite's charges $12 a year for paying members and gives a few perks to us paying folk, you can you have interaction with the best gun builders on the planet for free but I prefer to pay my way in life, always have.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2023, 01:47:43 pm »
It’s not about the money for me . I often donate to good causes and help promote archery as a whole. I don’t even have a computer. The magazine on my phone does not appeal to me. I’m good with a $20 a year  donation to support PA though . That is if I can pay for up to five year’s at a time

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2023, 01:50:10 pm »
I’m one of those people who just don’t care for the e-mag either. I was pretty disappointed when the last article I wrote ended up being in the first e-mag only issue. I was really looking forward to getting my bundle of magazines and giving one to my friends at the Sugar Shack.

I know they would have loved it. I told them that they could see it on my computer but they weren’t interested in that.

I know that things have been very difficult for Primitive Archery Magazine and that the Covid pandemic was the final nail in the coffin for the printed copy.

Honestly I have gotten way more from this site than the magazine. I have spent more time on this website than I ever dreamed of. I have made really good friends and learned so much about so many things.

The people on this site are what I appreciate and miss the most. I’m over not getting the printed copies. I’m not over missing all the really good people who contributed so much to this site with their stories and replies.

I wish they were here. It has gotten pretty slow around here. I’m pretty sure if I went to facebook or something like that I could probably find a bunch of them, but it was a big enough deal for me to go online and find this site.

I’m probably not going to go anywhere else. I know some of you guys still lurk out there. It always makes me feel both happy and sad to see your username pop up. I love seeing that you’re still there, but I really miss your interactions.

I feel like Eric. And Thank You Eric for your nice words about “Life on the Farm”. It really surprises me how many viewers have read it. I sometimes wonder how smart it is to post so much information online (especially when the site isn’t secure). I have had a lot of positive feedback though and I really do like having the chance to bring the farm back to the people. It’s been good for both of us.

I’m still a regular here. It’s the first thing I do everyday. I visit this site. It’s usually the last thing I do everyday to. It has definitely slowed down though. Quite often there wasn’t a whole lot posted from the beginning of the day to the end.

I’m here though

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline airkah

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2023, 02:38:41 pm »
I work in the tech industry and read more ebooks than I do print, and  still do not enjoy the emag. I think part of the problem with the emag is the execution. Years ago  when I first started getting into the hobby, I would buy the e version of the magazine on amazon and it was a much easier to access and provided a better user experience reading the magazine than the current system.i would love to have the print magazine back (it is my preferred way to read it too) but even if it has to stay digital, going back to the old emag distribution system would be a huge improvement.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2023, 05:07:05 am »
Sad story.
I'd suggest to open BOM for non subscribers - that might bring back a few bowmakers into it.
cheers
Nailed it.
BOM provides material for the magazine and an incentive to post your work.
Closing it to non subscribers was a HUGE mistake... cutting off a source of content and alienating members.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.