Author Topic: Sinew on sinew to pull out deflex?  (Read 1366 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Sinew on sinew to pull out deflex?
« on: October 07, 2023, 05:07:42 am »
I am messing about with sinew as a bit of a learning experience.  I put a layer of sinew onto a bow with an inch of set. Did I miss a trick? Should I have pulled it into reflex then sinewed it? Can I reverse brace it now and put on a layer or two of sinew?  How will that affect the first layer?  It’s been drying for a month, and is on nice and tight.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Sinew on sinew to pull out deflex?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2023, 10:05:18 am »
How strong is the bow to begin with? If light enough it may help reduce the deflex if the bow is strung backwards then add more sinew but I doubt it. It's better to put the bow in reflex before adding the sinew to begin with. You could remove the sinew that you already applied, soak it and separate the sinew for reuse. You can add reflex with heat or just bend and hold it in reflex before reapplying the sinew.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2023, 11:57:53 am »
Thanks Pat, I thought I may have messed up. All part of the learning process.  The bow is showing what I call soft set - I think others call it following the string? Anyway, after a few hours of use, the bow takes on an extra inch of set which then settles out slowly overnight as the bow returns to its true shape.  The bow is also underweight. I figure another course of sinew might help it keep its shape for longer while increasing its "punch".

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2023, 03:02:36 pm »
It should help increase the weight some.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC