Main Discussion Area > Arrows

Arrow tuning for a non center shot bow

(1/1)

lenador:
I've been reading quite a lot about arrow tuning prior to finishing my Osage bow. I'm planning on trading hunting this season and I've been trying to get my 40# red oak bow tuned for a batter flight and I really couldn't find much about bows with a severe non center shot. My red oak is a bend through the handle  bow and currently has no rest but I'm adding a leather rest as we speak to furter hone the arrow flight in.
I'm planning to purchase an arrow test kit and field point test kit from 3 river archery but some I fo I've read for non center shot is leading me to think that I need a much more under spined arrow and heavier tip to get my dynamic spine higher. I'm having a hard time finding a spine test kit with a spine lower than 600 and I don't want to use tip weight to fix an overspine and have my arrow be heavier than I need.
 So, do I
A.drop to 600 and tune it in with tip weight
B. Find a 700 spine and order it separate
C. Give up and wait until my Osage with a rest is done?

Badger:
 Tuning is something that has to be physically done. But for a close starter you might try this. You have a 40# bow so you start with a bow with 40# spine that is 30" long with a 125 grain point. For every 1/4" off center you remove 5" spine. For every 25 grains of point weight under you subtract 5" spine and for every 25 grains pt weight over you add 5# spine. In your case I would start with an arrow with 25# spine. I bet that would get you pretty close..

lenador:

--- Quote from: Badger on September 29, 2023, 07:01:22 pm --- Tuning is something that has to be physically done. But for a close starter you might try this. You have a 40# bow so you start with a bow with 40# spine that is 30" long with a 125 grain point. For every 1/4" off center you remove 5" spine. For every 25 grains of point weight under you subtract 5" spine and for every 25 grains pt weight over you add 5# spine. In your case I would start with an arrow with 25# spine. I bet that would get you pretty close..

--- End quote ---
I'm using carbon arrows so they are spined in the hundreds. Honestly don't know what the comparison is. I've already started physically doing arrow tuning but currently the lowest alike I have is 500 and if I buy a test kit the lowest they come is 600. This is why I want to buy a test kit of arrows and points so that I can tune my arrows. Currently 500 spine and 150 grain at 28" are falsely showing over spined. This is what led me to look into tuning with a bone center shot bow. My arrow flight is showings early over spined but I know they are not. I can shoot a 350 with the same result and Ive been informed bows that are not center shot have a false over spine when tuning.
 Anyways without going down that rabbit hole I'm trying to tune my 40# bow and it's showing over spined with 500 spine and 150 grain tips and I'm trying to find an arrow test kit that goes from 700+ instead of 600+ so I don't end up with 600 arrows and super heavy tips.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version