Author Topic: a little fun project  (Read 1443 times)

Offline simk

a little fun project
« on: September 27, 2023, 01:54:20 pm »
Hi All

Latley wanted to try one of these holly staves I had drying. The wood was around 2 1/2" in diameter and I split it with the bandsaw. I finally could either do a simple stick bow or something...how would you call that?....andaman hollow limbish. I went for the latter because I have always been fascinated by these andaman bows. She came out 37# at 27" draw.  Length is somewhere 63" and it bends minimal in the handle. Please forgive my tillering - I'm not happy with the top limb and maybe have to reheattreat and rework it a little - but its not so easy to judge because of some character and also a little twist induced by the hollow limb. Should take another pic from the oder side.... Stain is ironchloride.

Shoots nicely.

Cheers

By the way:
thanks everyboy for posting your great bows - its my pleasure to see them. BJrogg, great bow you made - a contender for sure - let this dream of the flats go on, its a nice one - I know it myself.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 02:04:08 pm by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline simk

Re: a little fun project
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2023, 02:01:48 pm »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline superdav95

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2023, 01:04:25 am »
Very cool bow Simon.  I’ve got one in the works.  I hope it turns out this nice.  Well done sir. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2023, 03:35:57 am »
That HLD belly looks lovely.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline simk

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2023, 09:55:46 am »
Thanks guys!

Couldn't sleep with that tiller - think its ok now  :)

Making an andaman bow Dave? looking forward....!

cheers
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Aksel

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2023, 10:03:30 am »
Very cool looking bow. Very much like a swiss stone age bow from yew with HLD on the inner limbs and narrow outer limbs. The staining looks great too!
Stoneagebows

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2023, 10:31:11 am »
These bows look cool. Are there any performance advantages to this design ? Nicely done sir.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline simk

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2023, 03:44:18 pm »
Thanks Aksel - maybe you could send me some pics and dimensions from that swiss bow - that maybe a project  :)
Thanks Arvin - I just think its a very smart, totally logic design - the andaman bow. I'm totally fascinated about it. What you learn in school as rule no1 is that the width taper mirrors your bend. Nothing paralell here, its all one flow of width taper. working and tillering that shape is cool. The bow shoots pretty good but the wood is not high performance. Done with yew probably very fast. I (-S

I found a few bows on the net. mostly from auctions. they come in lenths between 60 and 85" and the shapes are all a little different. I wonder what wood they used....mangroves? Palm?

cheers
--- the queen rules ----

Offline simk

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2023, 03:45:15 pm »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Aksel

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2023, 03:01:09 am »
Hi Simk, here´s a drawing from Jürgen Junkmanns book Pfeil & Bogen and photos of both limbs of my replica I made a while back. Far from as pronounced features as on your bow but still... I have a thread of it somewhere here too.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 05:11:44 am by Aksel »
Stoneagebows