Author Topic: 10 years later... my Osage is ready.  (Read 13524 times)

Offline Muskyman

Re: 10 years later... my Osage is ready.
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2023, 01:41:49 pm »
Looks kinda bad to me but, I’m a novice so you can’t go by me.
I know I’ve seen plenty of posts on here about the checks in the middle of the limb and they fill those with the thin ca glue/ superglue.. can’t say about the one on the edge of the limb.
I always get scared using my draw knife when taking a limb down to width and file everything. Probably way more than I need to but I get nervous once I get to about a 1/4 inch of it. Not to say that’s what happened on yours. Hope it works out for you.. good luck with it.

Offline lenador

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2023, 02:26:12 pm »
Looks kinda bad to me but, I’m a novice so you can’t go by me.
I know I’ve seen plenty of posts on here about the checks in the middle of the limb and they fill those with the thin ca glue/ superglue.. can’t say about the one on the edge of the limb.
I always get scared using my draw knife when taking a limb down to width and file everything. Probably way more than I need to but I get nervous once I get to about a 1/4 inch of it. Not to say that’s what happened on yours. Hope it works out for you.. good luck with it.

Yeah I do the same thing. My draw knife is pretty cheap and it's sort of hard to control. I bought a carrier rasp to finish the little bit down to the line. Yeah I agree it looks bad but I'd say I'm close enough now it's worth making something out of it. I started this out to be a practice stave to get me back into the feel before starting on one of my good staves. If I learn a few lessons from it I'll call it a win. The next one will be from a nice full hunk with plenty of meat. I also have another small one like this and a short small one too.
Failure isn't a loss unless you cease to move forward from it.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2023, 03:23:23 pm »
My draw knife could be better too. I’d like to find a nice Greenlee or one of the nice older ones. I’m slowly getting better and more tools for working on bows with. I like my Shinto rasp, and I have a couple ferriers rasps that are okay. Now if I can just learn how to use them  :BB

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2023, 06:22:43 pm »
The checks on the belly are no problem at all. I'd fill them with super glue and keep on. You may need to fill the checks in a few sessions.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lenador

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2023, 06:36:25 pm »
The checks on the belly are no problem at all. I'd fill them with super glue and keep on. You may need to fill the checks in a few sessions.

Does that mean a little at a time to give it chance to cure furhter in?
 What's your thoughts on the side?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2023, 09:39:50 am »
Yes, put some glue in the checks, give it a while to cure and add more. Like I said it may take several sessions. Also, watch out for the fumes. Sometimes in situations like this the super glue will flash off emitting dangerous fumes.
 It won't hurt to add glue to the sides too. Are they cracks or wind shakes?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lenador

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2023, 08:57:24 am »
Yes, put some glue in the checks, give it a while to cure and add more. Like I said it may take several sessions. Also, watch out for the fumes. Sometimes in situations like this the super glue will flash off emitting dangerous fumes.
 It won't hurt to add glue to the sides too. Are they cracks or wind shakes?
I'm not too sure how to tell the difference but once I got the limb near the final shape I eliminated most of the issue. There is the one very large one on the side near the handle that I'm most worried. Going to try the glue and see what comes of it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2023, 12:02:38 pm »
How about a pic.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2023, 01:41:53 pm »
Hope it works out for you. Stick a picture of your bad spot on here, someone might be able to help. I’d like to see it for my own endeavors in case I run into something similar.
Good luck

Offline lenador

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2023, 02:13:24 pm »
How about a pic.
On the previous page the middle picture is the one in the side. I can update an updated picture tonight. The check doesn't look as bad now the material is removed around it. After tonight I should be able to start doing some tillering. I'll have to get the checks glues up first but that will give me time to build a new tillering rack. I also need to improve the rest on the red oak bow before opening day in about a week.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2023, 04:03:29 pm »
Good luck with your bow and your hunting.

Offline lenador

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2023, 09:25:21 pm »
Good luck with your bow and your hunting.
Thanks. I made some progress the past few days. Getting ready to post the pictures. I went out scouting the past few weekends and my favorite spot has gotten popular so I need to find another spot. There is a prairie/ marsh area not far that's about 2800 acres. I'm going to scout that tommorow night and see what it looks like.

Offline lenador

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2023, 09:32:59 pm »

Well here we are. Not perfect but I'm committed to finishing the bow no matter how perfect or imperfect it turns out.
 I filled the belly and side cracks with CA glue. The belly crack is right near the nock area which worries me a little. I have the belly a rounded profile and and the floor tiller looks pretty good so I'm doing a few rounds of glue and then I'll work on the handle and tillering. The one side of the handle I ran out of material so I'm going to sort of finish it with it's imprefections and see how it turns out.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2023, 11:18:41 am »
I like your commitment and wish you the best.  It’s lookin like a bow to me.  Some good advise on here and I think you should be ok in the end.  I’ve had worse as I’m sure others here have had and still turn out to be fine bows.  Anyway I like your attitude with it.  We must prevail and forge ahead.  I’m following this one to the finish line!   
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2023, 10:19:56 am »
Looking much better than I had anticipated to be honest. .good job so far.