Author Topic: Snaky Osage  (Read 7443 times)

Offline Muskyman

Re: Snaky Osage
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2023, 03:23:45 pm »
I got mine at Lowe’s. It’s a wallpaper steamer. It gets really hot. I put my bow limb in a piece of downspout that was about 3 ft long and I drilled holes in the bottom of it. Stuffed some rags around the limb to block it off. For me, doing the hole limb I liked it better than a heat gun. Stuff it into the downspout wait for a hour   Got all my clamps ready. Had my layout done. Pulled it out and clamped it and let it be for a couple hours and it was pretty good. Then I did the same thing with the other limb.
 Here’s a picture of it tillered to 30 inches and about 47 lbs. I think the left side needs a little more work. It’s the snaky limb. But I think the right limb looks okay.

Appreciate any comments on it and thanks to everyone and their input on this bow.

When I get it to where I’m happy with it I’ll probably put a jute handle wrap on it.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2023, 04:21:33 pm »
Well done!!!
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline superdav95

« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2023, 08:49:22 pm »
Looks good to me.  Well done.  Ya I use the same steam method mike.  One limb at a time with a wrag stuffed in the opposite end of my pipe.  Works well.  Good stuff
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2023, 01:26:53 pm »
Did a little more work on the snaky limb today. Figured I leave it be for now. Took it out to my target and shot about 25 shots out of it. Doesn’t seem real fast but I don’t have a chronograph so it’s just a guess. Fast enough though. Shot pretty good. Not a ton of hand shock. And it didn’t explode, so happy about that. Think I’ll sand it up and fashion some nocks make a string and call it good.
Here’s a picture of my last five shots at 20 yards. Not great but acceptable since I haven’t shot any since early this summer and it wasn’t a lot.
Thanks for the help. I really enjoyed making this one.

Offline lenador

« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2023, 09:58:21 pm »
Looking good to me.
Failure isn't a loss unless you cease to move forward from it.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2023, 10:43:27 pm »
Thanks. Naturally I took the picture of my best group. All sanded up and gone over with steel wool now. Might try to put a handle wrap on it tomorrow.

Offline Will B

« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2023, 07:37:34 am »
Nice bow!!  Great job getting it to 30”.