Author Topic: Snaky Osage  (Read 7489 times)

Offline lenador

Re: Snaky Osage
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2023, 07:36:19 pm »
It's looking good to me. Mine has a little twist. I was going to try to heat it out
Failure isn't a loss unless you cease to move forward from it.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2023, 04:59:16 pm »
I probably screwed it up but, I steamed one of the limbs and clamped it down today. I didn’t know if it would be a problem but I clamped it back of the bow up. The belly was nice and flat so I figured I’d try it that way. Hopefully I didn’t goof it up.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2023, 07:06:27 pm »
It shouldn't matter with a flat form, steam only and no dry heat on the back.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline superdav95

« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2023, 08:12:02 pm »
Looks like your on the right track mike.  I probably would have done the same.   Those little wallpaper steamers work well.  Should be a lot more predictable now on the tiller
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2023, 08:23:58 pm »
Couldn’t wait any longer so after about 3 hours I went out and unclamped my bow. It was still damp on the belly but it was much much straighter then it started out. Took a bunch of the wonky stuff out of the limb. But it might have a crack in it along the edge. Maybe. The limb was wet and the steaming raised the grain on it a bunch so I’m going to wait till tomorrow and take a really good look at it. It’s close to the edge and if it’s cracked I’m going to see if I can narrow the limb and save it that way. It was about a inch and a half wide and the area where it might be cracked is less than a quarter inch from the edge. It’s cracked and I can fix it I’ll just shoot for about 35 40 lbs of draw weight. Crossing my fingers and hoping it’s okay

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2023, 08:32:15 pm »
Yep I like my little steamer Dave. I put the limb inside of a downspout about the length of the limb. One end I taped close and stuffed a rag in the other end. Steamed it for about a hour before I clamped it.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2023, 10:44:22 am »
Steamed the other side yesterday. Came out okay. Today I’m trying to get it straightened out a little more with dry heat and a little oil. I just have a feeling I’m probably gonna kill it. I’ll know more in a couple hours when I unclamp it. Even if I do I’ve learned a lot from this piece of wood. Hoping for the best but not gonna sweat it.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2023, 01:28:55 pm »
Okay so I just took my bow off the form after bending it with heat and while I’m not convinced I’m going to be able to make a bow with it I’m feeling better.
Some before and after pictures

Before

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2023, 01:29:56 pm »
After

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2023, 01:30:56 pm »
Another picture

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2023, 01:43:49 pm »
And another with my lazer shooting down the length

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2023, 01:45:29 pm »
Here is my lazer going over the handle. The little arrow is where the shelf is

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2023, 01:58:18 pm »
It doesn't matter where the lazer line lays now with the bow laying flat. Once you get to low brace you will be able to tell how the string tracks.
 Try to be more positive about the outcome of this bow or it probably won't come out good.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2023, 02:07:39 pm »
Thanks Pat. I’m going to give it a few days to let the moisture content even back out then I might try putting the long string back on it and see how it bends pulling it 6-8 inches. Then try to tiller it down to where I can get it to brace with a longer string. Then I’ll go from there.
I’ll try to be more positive.
Thanks again

Offline superdav95

« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2023, 08:41:16 pm »
Looks like great progress mike.  I’d say your in good shape here
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com