Author Topic: Snaky Osage  (Read 7444 times)

Offline Muskyman

Re: Snaky Osage
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2023, 07:51:21 pm »
Top/back of bow

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2023, 07:54:54 pm »
Outside edge

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2023, 10:37:25 pm »
Without having the stave in front of me it's hard to say but if you can clear the knot completely then I would go around it. It's a judgement call.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2023, 11:15:16 pm »
By go around do you mean take it out? If I narrow the limbs I might be able to get rid of it, maybe. Limbs are 1 1/2 inches the way they are drawn on the stave and it was a limb not the trunk of the tree.  If you look you can see the pith in the stave. I think I’ll thin the thickness down then try to make a call on what to do. I’m hoping if I do that I’ll get a better idea of what to do.

Thanks for your help and thoughts Pat. I’ll post when I get thinned down and maybe take a few more pictures. Probably end up firewood but I’m going to see what happens. Not going to try to make it to heavy, hopefully that’ll help.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2023, 08:42:51 am »
Thin the limbs down and see how the knot looks. You could leave the knot and that area of the limb would be a little stiff.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2023, 09:34:13 am »
Pats advice is good as usual. What part of the limb is the knot located? That can also make a difference.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2023, 02:57:27 pm »
Took my stave down to about 3/4 to a inch in thickness an ended up with this.
I couldn’t take the thought of something like that so I’m looking at it and decided that it had to go. Said if I end up with firewood so be it.
I took pictures as I took it off and of the end result.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2023, 02:59:11 pm »
As I got started

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2023, 03:00:28 pm »
A little farther along

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2023, 03:02:39 pm »
End result is right where the pencil mark is

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2023, 03:16:58 pm »
This is a picture from the top/back of bow. I was a little concerned about how it was going to end up but, really glad I did it after seeing the result. I guess it’s part of learning. This bow has a long way to go yet. It’s got twists and humps in the limbs etc,etc. and with me driving this ship it still may end up in the firewood pile. But I get through the first hurdle.
Thanks for your help and thoughts on this one. I’m sure I’ll have more questions as I go along.
Next I’m thinking get the limbs down to about 1/2 inch and then try and take out some twist.
Or am I thinking wrong?

Offline lenador

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2023, 07:33:32 am »
I'm secretly watching your build to make sure I don't screw mine up 😂
Failure isn't a loss unless you cease to move forward from it.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2023, 09:12:44 am »
Don’t know if that’s the best idea for you to be honest. You’ve probably built more bows then I have. And it’s my first try at a snaky bow. You’re welcome to follow along and get what info you can from the people on here who have some real knowledge. I myself am pretty much in the dark here. The people on here are great though and have a lot of experience and are willing to share it.
Just don’t want you to get the idea that I actually know what I’m doing.
I’m pretty much like you. I’m on here asking questions hoping I don’t screw mine up.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2023, 09:41:01 am »
Well done so far. If that last pic is the back of the bow you need to get it down to one clean ring before you go any further.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2023, 03:17:43 pm »
I’ve got it down to about 1/2 inch now. It’s just starting to bend a little bit. Tried to fix a spot in it with heat but didn’t really get what I wanted done so I took down a bit. It was about 3/4 when I tried to bend it. It’s so wonky that it’s hard to figure out how to clamp it up and get what I’m trying to do done.
Here’s a couple pictures of it now