Author Topic: Small crack in belly  (Read 1444 times)

Offline Bruce M

Small crack in belly
« on: September 10, 2023, 09:42:04 am »
I made this hickory selfbow last year, it was my second successful(I'll use that term loosely) attempt at a bow that didn't immediately fold.

During tillering this crack in the belly appeared.  It has about 100 shots through it and hasn't grown or deepened.
What are your thoughts, is it a non issue because it's in the belly. I think it's just a matter of time before this turns into kindling but the bow shoots pretty darn good to be honest so I want to keep shooting it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Small crack in belly
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2023, 10:40:06 am »
Bruce, that is a fret, a compression fracture and eventually it will get worse. You could relieve the wood on either side of the fret and it might help but leave the fret itself as is with the exception of maybe adding super glue to it.
 Just one of the joys or building selfbows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bruce M

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2023, 01:19:01 pm »
Pat thanks for the explanation and advice, I will put some thin CA glue down there and leave it be from there.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2023, 10:49:14 am »
In the last picture can you see where your width narrows well before you approach the fades? That's a tough thing to over come if not planned out from the start. It's best to keep that full width right up to the fades. If I had to guess Id say your compression fracture is a result of that narrowed area working too hard.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2023, 12:11:18 pm »
In the last picture can you see where your width narrows well before you approach the fades? That's a tough thing to over come if not planned out from the start. It's best to keep that full width right up to the fades. If I had to guess Id say your compression fracture is a result of that narrowed area working too hard.

I agree. You can also see a slight indication you might have rolled your tool i.e. your scraper to that side.  The grain looks like it might be a bit thinner there as well.  Could just be the grain but on that tight if grain it could be used as a loose guide. 

Offline Bruce M

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2023, 09:58:28 pm »
Yes you are correct. IIRC when roughing out the bow I got a bit too aggressive in removal in that area on one of the sides. So I ended up bringing the widest point further out on the limbs on all sides. Also I don't think I had the grain going to center of pith, maybe a little askew.