Author Topic: 50lbs black locust  (Read 1847 times)

Offline Juan Ant. Espinosa

50lbs black locust
« on: August 31, 2023, 04:26:41 am »
Hello.
This is the first bow I show here. It is made of a Robinia pseudoacacia stave.
I like to make them with a static handle and as short as I can with that condition. Looking for something good for hunting purposes.
The overall length is 159cm 62.6inches (155cm 61inches between grooves). The short flips are static or that´s what I think.
It was showing 55lbs at 28 inches draw (from the string to the back of the handle) when I finished it. Now, after something like 300 shots it is 49.5lbs at the same draw. I´ve notice the reflex I heated on it has regressed a bit.
I don´t know if it is completely stabiliced now; I hope it is because the stave did have some original reflex...
Days ago I was shooting a 485 grain arrow with it through a chornograph (That´s something like 9.8 grains per pound) and it was showing 170 fps 51.8 m/s.
I was trying to make a video but it was long, a disaster and ended with the filmed damage of the chronograph...

Here you are some photos of it hoping you like it:

Re: 50lbs black locust
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2023, 04:32:48 am »
It has developed some compression issues in a segment of an edge. Just in the place where a splitting forced me to make that area a little narrower. I´ll show you a couple photographs.

Offline Aksel

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2023, 08:39:26 am »
Very nice bow! looks like a good shooter.

I hope to try black locust one day.
Stoneagebows

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2023, 08:52:01 am »
Very nice locust bow. Well done.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Weird dude with a bow

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2023, 03:51:24 pm »
I'm sure these compression fractures are not a problem here. As long as they don't spread further toward the centrer of the limb, no worry! beautiful bow
Sorry for spelling and grammatical errors, I'm french!

Offline superdav95

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2023, 07:22:51 pm »
Very nice bow.  I’ve had the same thing.  My issue turned out to be more to do with the satin spray finish I was using that got too brittle I think and cracked under the stress.  Not sure what you finished or sealed up your bow with but that may in fact be what this is.  If the bow holds its tillered shape and balance in the limbs and it still shoots well then I would say it’s the finish that may have cracked.  If it’s a compression crumple or the like it will eventually become more noticeable and show in the balance of the limbs.  Hopefully it’s just the finish coat that has cracked a bit.  Nice lookin bow. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2023, 09:59:20 pm »
That’s a great looking bow Juan. Hope it turns out to be the finish like Dave said.

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2023, 02:44:14 pm »
Thank you everybody! I´m very glad to see your answers and comments.
Weird dude with a bow, If they´re not a problem in that location, that´s a good new. They stay at that place for the moment.
This bow has a trapezoidal cross section to help the compression surface to stay healthy. Those marks are in the very edge.
It´s a little difficult to show with a photograpg how the valley is wider than the back in that bow.
Superdav, I have used some truoil for this one. Is the first time I use it, so I don´t really know the product. But it seems to me it is a noble product... Well, lets see how it continues. I want to shoot it a little more before giving it to a friend. And maybe if I can tomorrow, to make a little video showing some shoot on it.

Offline airkah

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2023, 07:18:24 pm »
Looks great! I'd love to see the filmed damage to the chrono! Its like a penetration test  :)

Where did you get the compression fractures at? Bottom limb?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 07:22:26 pm by airkah »

Phillip King

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2023, 02:58:37 pm »
 :) :BB Smooth, Very nice

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2023, 11:24:01 am »
https://drive.google.com/file/d/13b7Q3K-dZeBgyCkoZYLFEalPgYZPepaz/view?pli=1

Phillip King and Airkah, thanks. This is the link if you want to see the disaster. The video is long, windy, bad sound... skale and chronograph reading errors...  ;D
The lines are in the begining of the uper limb.

Also 3 shots in that youtube link:
https://youtu.be/VyNyuUZKNuk

And this is a photo trying to show the trapezoidal cross section.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 11:31:53 am by Juan Ant. Espinosa »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2023, 11:44:56 am »
Looks like she shoots very well.  :OK  Hope you didn't kill your chronograph.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC