Author Topic: Hickory harvest  (Read 5686 times)

Offline Muskyman

Hickory harvest
« on: August 29, 2023, 04:26:38 pm »
Harvested some shag bark hickory today.
It seems to have some propeller twist in it. Not real bad but, it has some.
Also I guess I waited to late for the bark to peel off.
I tried on a couple of them and it just wasn’t coming off like the piece I did earlier this year.
At this point should I just leave the bark on it, or should I draw knife it down to the back or what?
I sealed the ends. The long ones are 92 inches and the shorter ones are 72 inches

Offline superdav95

Re: Hickory harvest
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2023, 06:40:42 pm »
Ya mike I wish you were thinking of going out for some. I would have warned you about that.  It’s still good though you just gotta get down to the inner layer under the cambium.  It will have ripples in it and will have left over cambium on the back but just leave it.  It won’t hurt anything.  The only concern is bugs getting under the bark and boring holes on the back surface.  This is the main concern with just leaving the bark on.  I just got my haul last week and the bark still slipped off but just barely.  Usually get mine before now but too busy to get to my usual spot.     Nice haul though.  Still some good wood there.  Even if you discover compromise back you can still use it for a boo backed bow or something. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 06:55:47 pm »
I would take the bark off now to prevent bugs from getting to it and it's a lot easier to remove when it green than when dry.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 09:30:41 pm »
So I’ll take the bark and cambium till I get close to first growth ring. Then seal it and let it dry for a while. I might try some hot water later and see how that works to get the rest off..
might try Bjrogg’s method with the pressure washer on one.. I don’t have the hot water but, I might try it without it. Not looking forward to taking it off with my draw knife.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2023, 12:51:21 pm »
My buddy used a 4" PVCtube and wall paper steamer. He steamed for an hour or so and the bark/cambium fell right off.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2023, 01:01:26 pm »
My buddy used a 4" PVCtube and wall paper steamer. He steamed for an hour or so and the bark/cambium fell right off.

That sounds like a lot better way than putting it in the shower. I’m thinking that would work really good. He didn’t get any drying checks? That would be my only concern.

I have used a high pressure washer with hot water and had very good results. Leaves a perfect back. For the thick hickory bark I’d probably remove big stuff with draw knife first.

I do like Pearls suggestion for such thick bark.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline superdav95

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2023, 01:24:22 pm »

This might be the way I would go at it.  This would give you the cleanest back.  I’ve scraped with a spoon too afterwards getting most of the bark off which works but lot more work.  Some good advise here anyways to get er done. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2023, 04:12:35 pm »
Yesterday it was hickory and today it’s Osage. About 4-5 weeks ago a guy on a job I was on told me that there was a Osage tree that had been damaged in a storm. I thought it was a goner because it had been so long ago. That’s why I cut the hickory. He called me this morning and said that it had been cut down and I needed to come get it. I knew it was a good tree so I went and got it today.
Nice rings and straight grain. I’m very fortunate that I got it. Lot of work in front of me to get it ready to stash away but that’s fine by me. I got about 24 staves yesterday and today. I’m probably going to be able to do some more splitting and piggybacking on the Osage so I might end up with around 30 or so. 

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2023, 04:15:25 pm »
Another picture of the rings. All of them are pretty much the same
I’m going to buy a steamer and try the bark removal with it
Thanks for the help everyone. Love this site and how helpful everyone is.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 04:19:28 pm by Muskyman »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2023, 04:24:08 pm »
Nice score. You have some work ahead, but you should be set for awhile.

Bjrogg

PS I don’t know for sure, but I don’t think the steam or pressure washer will work with that beautiful Osage.

When you take the bark and sapwood off be sure to seal the back very good. Osage like to get drying checks very quickly. Overnight or less.

Bjrogg
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 04:27:25 pm by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2023, 05:55:30 pm »
Thanks bj. I was planning on using the steam for the hickory and my draw knife for the Osage. I sealed the ends with polyurethane already to try and keep them from checking. Also covered them up with some drop cloths till I get back to them tomorrow. I’ll take the bark and sapwood off them seal them up good before I tuck them away.  I’ll know more about them after I get the bark and sapwood off but they look good to me. Hopefully I won’t find a bunch of knots underneath.

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2023, 06:26:25 pm »
Very nice looking haul on the Osage.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2023, 06:29:36 pm »
Try peeling the bark off the osage. It may come off easy.
 That is some beautiful osage!  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2023, 09:17:05 pm »
Tried that Pat. It kinda sorta came off but seemed like it left the sapwood. I’ll try again tomorrow and see if at least some of them might cooperate. Much rather do that then use a draw knife.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2023, 10:08:43 pm »
It will leave the sapwood and you'll have to remove the sapwood with a draw knife.