Author Topic: Snaky elm  (Read 3652 times)

Offline superdav95

Re: Snaky elm
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2023, 10:51:33 am »
Dave, I've used and cut a good bit of elm and have found several like that. I don't think its actually snaky grain. I say that because when I split it out it split straight and not snaky. What does the belly grain look like?

The belly grain is similarly snaky but not exactly the same as the top back layer.  You can see in the pic here at one end in particular.  It somewhat follows a snaky pattern but varying a little.  I wish this split straight it would have been nice.  The log was nice and straight but when I kerfed it into 4 it still had a really hard time so ended up cutting all the way through.  Very snaky to say the least.  I was hoping for some straight stuff but will work with this. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2023, 12:39:29 pm »
I would try to build one cut out straight. That one looks like a boom boom waiting to happen :)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2023, 01:02:59 pm »
I would try to build one cut out straight. That one looks like a boom boom waiting to happen :)

Well I’ve got a few more so will try it straight too and see like you say.  I’m thinking g the interwoven grain should help significantly with it surviving. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2023, 02:06:56 pm »
I have no idea what makes it grow rings that way. But, I've seen it several times. Best of luck with both builds, Dave. You will make it happen if its possible.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2023, 01:25:52 pm »
I have no idea what makes it grow rings that way. But, I've seen it several times. Best of luck with both builds, Dave. You will make it happen if its possible.

I’ve had elm like that two. If I chased the ring under it was 180 degrees out of phase with the snaky one on top. Decided just to cut it straight. I pretty much screwed that bow up though so really can’t say how it would have worked out. I guess I never tried an Elm after. Don’t have much live Elm around here anymore

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2023, 03:34:51 pm »
A lot of snaky osage is like that too. That's one reason so few really snaky bows are successfully built.
 Looking forward to what you can do with it, Dave.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2023, 03:49:51 pm »
A lot of snaky osage is like that too. That's one reason so few really snaky bows are successfully built.
 Looking forward to what you can do with it, Dave.  :OK

I’ve never noticed that Pat, but I don’t think I have ever really had a snaky one . Most of the snaky Osage bows I’ve made went around knots

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2023, 06:26:05 pm »
Shannon Walker cut an osage and got 8 or 10 very snaky staves and a few billets. I think only 2 or 3 survived and they are the ones on Pappy's bow rack. All because of the counter acting rings.

This is the snaky bow Pappy and Will made for me. The original bottom limb blew up and fortunately Will had another billet with enough snakiness to be a match.

I think the elm, because of it's interlocking grain would fare better.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2023, 09:26:25 pm »
Now that’s a great looking rack of bows. Like yours too Pat.. something about them snaky bows. I’ve always wanted to try one. Probably beyond my skill set. I think I’ve got a stave I might could try one with. Not as snaky as most of those but it’s got a little bit of it
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 10:04:15 pm by Muskyman »

Offline wooddamon1

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2023, 06:31:38 pm »
Good luck, Dave. Look forward to seeing what you do with that.