Author Topic: new bow start  (Read 10974 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
new bow start
« on: August 20, 2023, 11:03:26 pm »

got it down to a good back ring

she is a bit short. If all goes well, when done she'll bend through the handle, have recurved tips and sinew backed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline superdav95

Re: new bow start
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2023, 12:27:03 am »
This one I’m keeping an eye on. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2023, 06:27:31 am »
Love the short bows, I'll be following along!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2023, 08:08:12 am »
I know firsthand just how good you are at short, sinew backed bows :)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2023, 08:28:43 am »
Look forward to seeing this, Pat.  I think bows like this are the most fun to make.

Starting something new, myself.  I’ll have to post.  Heading up to SC to do some fishing with Eddie tomorrow.
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2023, 12:02:23 pm »
Thanks guys. It ought to be interesting. How's she holding up, Pearlie?
 Steve, hey to everyone down in SC for me.  :OK

Well, I shot myself in the foot yesterday. This stave is 46" t/t but was about 1 1/2" thick. Instead of putting it on the babdsaw I decided to see if I could split off a piggyback mainly to reduce the thickness. It wasn't for greed but maybe a bit of laziness. Anyway that's where I

screwed up...

The stave was originally 1 3/4" at the widest. After I split it the upper half that was going to be the back, already had a clean back ring came off uneven and probably too thin for what I wanted.

I may try to do something with it later but now on to this project.

This stave is 1 1/2 at it widest but with lots of irregularities between the 2 limbs. I've marked of the center line and handle and drew marks along each limb 2" apart so I can make both limb profiles similar.

I've got one question for you guys that build really short bows and especially sinew backed osage, should I round off the belly or make it flat?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2023, 12:46:41 pm »
Pat, at 1.50" wide I would leave that belly flat with a tasteful radius on the edges.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2023, 01:30:02 pm »
You know I'm all about tasteful, Pearlie. I think I'll take your advise. Kind of what I was thinking anyway.  :OK
 Thanks

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2023, 02:52:03 pm »
Pat "Tasteful" Brennan is what they call him :)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2023, 06:13:11 am »
Pat "Tasteful" Brennan is what they call him :)

I like that pearl. Watching Pat Tasteful  Brennan.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2023, 10:40:15 pm »
I used the measurements I made previously, 2" intervals along each limb to match the wider limb to the narrower one. Once I reduced the width of the one limb I used a little heat to correct a bend at the end...

Even with the oil the belly scorched pretty good before the wood would submit to being bent. I did notice a small crack in the recurve but it looked pretty shallow and I have 5 rings total at each tip. I will work on the other limb tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 10:44:43 pm by Pat B »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2023, 07:13:59 am »
Looking good Pat, don't like shooting them but like making them short bows. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2023, 11:49:55 am »
I'm with you on that, Pappy. I've had this stave for a long time so I figured I'd do something with it. I think it came from Clint. It had my name on it and "$20" written on it.

I just took the recurved limb out of the form and put the other limb in the form to straighten the tip. After lunch I'll recurve that other tip.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2023, 08:33:43 pm »
Making good progress
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2023, 10:07:55 pm »
Yeah, Dave, she's coming along. I'll remove the other tip from the recurve form tomorrow. I still have to align both limbs then continue with tillering.