Author Topic: Progress on Apple wood bow  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Lost Oki

Progress on Apple wood bow
« on: August 14, 2023, 12:37:27 pm »
This started as a curved limb off my neighbors apple tree last year.  Lots of issues with knots and overall length is 55".  bow design is based on the Mollegabet style bow. Went with this design to eliminate some rough knots.   Pics below are bow after some tiller work.  Last pic is with no tension on bow, first is 10" of draw and middle pic with 18" of draw.  At 18" draw bow is at 40 Lbs (goal is 35-40 at 26").  Need feedback on tiller based on this design. 
Note bow limbs are almost identical in length from center of over all bow length. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 12:41:37 pm by Lost Oki »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Progress on Apple wood bow
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2023, 01:11:58 pm »
Looks pretty good so far however the left limb looks to have a possible hinge about a foot out from the fade.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline superdav95

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2023, 02:42:39 pm »
I think you have some room to address the poss hinge on left side limb.  I would get the bend on the mid and outer on left one more like the right limb with some scrapes from mid out.  Once you get it bending nice like your right limb then do even scrapes on both to get your weight down to about 3-5lbs heavier then you goal at draw.  Then finish up with sand and finish should put you in good place.   If your goal was to have the molle style bow with non working levers it looks like you are past that point now in my opinion.  You could add belly lams to stiffen up possibly.  Hope it works out for ya. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Lost Oki

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 05:32:16 pm »
Thanks for the replys.  Went back down to work shop and worked on the possible hinge area and scraped a little to reduce draw weight.  Checked with scale to 20" and 35 lbs.  Adjusted bow string to fit, lightly flexed bow 4-5 times, drew to appox 22" and snap crackle pop.  SO, who needs some apple wood for your smoker? 

Funny thing, if I had it to do over again, knowing it was going to break, I would still build it, I learned a lot.  This was my 4th bow and my first from a limb or stave, other 3 were board bows.  My very first red oak board bow is at 375 shots with know issues so far. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 05:40:58 pm by Lost Oki »

Offline Hamish

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2023, 06:17:04 pm »
Trying to get a 40lbs bow @ 26" was always going to be a tough ask, with only 55" of length and stiff handle and tips.
 Some guys might be able to pull it off, unbacked. I doubt I could, unless sinew backed.

Your craftsmanship looked good. You just need to give yourself a bit more of a margin for success.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2023, 06:47:33 pm »
Trying to get a 40lbs bow @ 26" was always going to be a tough ask, with only 55" of length and stiff handle and tips.
 Some guys might be able to pull it off, unbacked. I doubt I could, unless sinew backed.

Your craftsmanship looked good. You just need to give yourself a bit more of a margin for success.

+1 for me. That sucks about your bow.  Get yourself a good stave and you will see a big difference.  You have a great attitude for learning and recognition of the learning curve despite your bow breaking.  Sometimes we learn more from our breaks then the ones that don’t break!   Keep at it.  🙂 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Lost Oki

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2023, 03:25:36 pm »
Well, maybe all is not lost.  When I first started on this bow, stripping the bark off back in early winter, I had violated the first layer and had taken it down to the 2nd layer.  I had done a basic shape and set it aside to dry.  On taking a closer look at the crack, it peeled back and it doesn't look to go any deeper.  So, at this point it appears that the crack is in the softer layer between rings(?).  I pulled that piece back, added pressure to the limb and did not see any further cracking.  I have most of it scraped off in this area but have a lot more to remove in spots along the back of the bow.  Fingers crossed, hope I am right. 
Now, rereading comments, I have a stiff handle, based on the u tube videos I need to thin the handle area down to about half the thickness??

Offline Hamish

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2023, 05:32:50 pm »
If you are going to thin the handle, do it progressively as part of the tillering process. Don't just remove it in one go and hope you get it right by luck.

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2023, 09:14:19 pm »
Hope this one works out for you.  I'm a rookie bowyer too and just got some apple that's drying now and I had the thought that I wondered how your apple bow was going since it had been a while since you posted about it.  I'm following along and learning too as i prepare to dive into mine once they season.  Again, good luck on this one, it looks good so far to me, hopefully your fix works.

Offline Lost Oki

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2023, 11:38:14 pm »
Hamish, thanks for the guidance, I will do that.
Aaron, so far so good, I scraped the soft wood off and crack disappeared, just got to clean up the rest of the bow.  Not sure where you are at on your apple wood bow but the best advice I have had on working apple wood is "don't try to split it, cut it.  I tried one limb and it definitely does not work.  Also, grain is crazy, trying to shape with a draw knife was not fun.  Once I got a rough shape it was scraper and rasp.

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2023, 08:04:28 pm »
Thanks Oki, I'll remember that.

Offline Lost Oki

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2023, 05:07:06 pm »
Well, the sun set on the Apple wood bow.  Cleaned the back up on both sides but made the hinge worse.  Tried to thin rest of limb to eliminate hinge but had just too many knots to work around and ended up with two bad spots at knots; see attached picture. 
I have another stave, 70" long but has a limb at 26" that I may be able to work around.  If not, then I will have to cut the 76" long by 5.5" dia limb  that i have.  Ends were waxed back in the fall but bark is on and it has not been split.  It also has a few knots. :BB :BB