Author Topic: Pitch over sinew?  (Read 807 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Pitch over sinew?
« on: August 17, 2023, 04:33:06 am »
Just a random thought that hit me, I know sinew can be protected by many different coverings, has anybody used a pitch/pine tar type of moisture barrier or are they inflexible/prone to cracking?

Offline superdav95

Re: Pitch over sinew?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2023, 09:20:30 am »
I think it would be a mess but I’m sure it can be done.  The pine pitch arrow hefting glue I use for my primitive arrow points are also wrapped with sinew and combine well. Only thing is that the hefting glue can be brittle depending on mixture.  What about a shellack or something like that to cover?   
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Pitch over sinew?
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2023, 10:09:48 am »
I use pine varnish, hard, brittle pitch dissolved in alcohol over sinew wraps on arrows but not on bows. I guess if you made true varnish with a solvent, an oil and the pitch it could be done. The oil would soften it up enough to allow constant bending, make it more flexible. I think hand rubbed fat(bear, deer, etc.) heated and mixed with pitch would be a better option but it would only be water repellent and not water proof.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC