Author Topic: Ash Log Care?  (Read 1270 times)

Offline wooddamon1

Ash Log Care?
« on: September 27, 2023, 05:57:31 am »
Hey guys, got a buddy that's getting into bow making and has access to plenty of Ash logs. The ones I have myself were cut, split and sealed, but his are standing dead pushed over with a dozer. Just wondering if it'd be worth his time messing with the logs. I've never used any myself and thought I'd ask some opinions. He sent me a pic of one bending and it didn't look too bad. Thanks!

Offline wooddamon1

Re: Ash Log Care?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2023, 06:10:01 am »
Here's a couple pics he sent. Maybe some inner splits might be ok? He said it's very hard to split, but it looks kinda punky on the ends to me.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2023, 06:40:48 am »
I doubt that they would make a bow. If he can find some young ones, that are still alive. Around here the young ones will live until their smooth bark turns to rough bark. Then the bore gets them.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline wooddamon1

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2023, 07:15:33 am »
Ok thanks, BJ. He's mostly just messing around to keep busy. I'll haul some decent stuff over to him before he gets too far along and cracks his noggin.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2023, 07:53:28 am »
Full of worm holes. Dead trees are only good for osage and sometimes black locust. I'd love to get some ash back and healthy. I only got to build a few before the borers ruined our trees.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ksnow

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2023, 10:35:50 am »
I'll third what BJ and Pearl said. Standing dead ash is no good for bows. The borers wiped it out here too, such a shame. I really enjoyed working ash. Nice straight logs, straight grain, worked fairly easily and the bows shot sweet. I have a handful of ash staves left from before the borer got here.

If there's no rot in the wood, I'd be curious to try some arrow shafts made from it though.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2023, 11:15:49 am »
A good candidate for the firewood pile. If you can get it sawn into boards it might make some furniture or wall boards.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wooddamon1

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2023, 06:18:22 pm »
Thanks guys, pretty much what I figured. Never even thought about arrow shafts, I used to get some decent ones back in the day and loved the weight.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2023, 05:13:12 am »
Ash is a great wood. I agree with all the other guys, you don't want to use dead standing wood for bows. You could try it for arrows, but if it was me, I'd be hewing out some big fruit bowls.
As for splitting logs, ash is about as good as it comes. A large log might be hard to start, but once you get the wedges in it practically splits itself.
It's also very easy to dry without degrade, unlike most other bow woods. Just seal the end grain, take the bark off, no need to seal the back.

Offline wooddamon1

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2023, 11:23:57 am »
Thanks, Hamish. Another great idea. He's bummed it's not bow wood, but he's pretty crafty so I'm sure he'll find a use for them. Heck, I might go cut some to have for myself. He offered all I want and I'm always working with wood making stuff and I have a woodstove in the hunting shack. Thanks again guys!