Author Topic: Starting a wild looking osage Update... COMPLETED with full draw  (Read 7768 times)

Offline LeightonM

This stave is 68 inches. I'm hoping to make a deflex reflex out of it. You can see it has a fair amount of propeller twist in it. I think The hardest thing is going to be getting it straightened out and getting the reflex in it at the same time. If anyone has any ideas I'm open to them! This will probably progress rather slowly,  but I'm hoping to end up around the 50# @ 29"
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 10:24:50 pm by LeightonM »

Offline bassman211

Re: Starting a wild looking osage
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2023, 05:04:26 am »
Use a form, and belly heat treat, and clamp.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2023, 04:18:42 pm »
What he said! 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline superdav95

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2023, 12:55:49 am »
Use a form and take your time.  Do one limb at a time one spot at a time.  The top limb shows what appears to be a prop twist and a bend to the right.  I would be tempted to correct both of those issues at the same time with a form as was mentioned.  I’ve done it in stages also depending on how bad the bends are.   For example clamp to a form and firstly address the bends in both limbs to get string alignment then work on the prop twist next once straight.  Best of luck with it. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Hamish

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2023, 07:01:00 am »

I would do some more floor tillering, to get the limbs flexing and a little thinner, and easier to heat straighten.

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2023, 06:01:33 pm »
Here’s a caul I made using a 2x12x12.  I cut it in half length wise, and then cut the arched piece out of one of the 6’ pieces and screwed it to the other 2x12x6’ piece. I took the left over from the arched cut land screwed it to the back side for a straight caul. I can heat and clamp sideways and up and down at the same time, so can usually work on straightening, reflex, and propeller twist all at the same time.

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2023, 06:05:00 pm »
Here is one I straightened up a few months back..

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2023, 08:28:13 pm »
I personally like to do one limb at a time. I have several half cauls that have different shapes.

I like to do each tip. Recurve or whatever the shape of tips first. I usually steam if recurves. Then starting at tip I clamp my way up the limb. Using dry heat as I go and heat treating at the same time.

After I have both tips and limbs shaped I have a caul with a little reflex for shaping the center section of my bows. You could use one with deflex also.

This gives you a good chance to do a little straightening and removing propeller.

Sometimes I still need to tweak the alignment of my tips with a little dry heat.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline LeightonM

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2023, 08:01:48 pm »
Thanks for the input guys! I steamed the deflex into the handle area and recurve the tips. Now I just need to reflex the limbs and get her lined up. This is what it looks like now.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2023, 05:25:21 am »
Starting to look real interesting. (-P

Offline simk

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2023, 06:08:36 am »
Good Job so far on an interesting project 👍
What I see tough is, that you induced way too much deflex. You should start wirh the tips at least 1- 2"ahead of your grip. This one will work but you give away lots of early draw weight and performance.
Jm2c
Cheers
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 06:42:28 am by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2023, 09:02:17 am »
Will definitely be watching progress on this one. I’m curious as what your plans for a handle is? It looks like you removed the wood for the handle toget your deflex?

Offline superdav95

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2023, 10:51:58 am »
What I see tough is, that you induced way too much deflex. You should start wirh the tips at least 1- 2"ahead of your grip. This one will work but you give away lots of early draw weight and performance.
Jm2c
Cheers

Agreed.  +1 here for me.  I would see about less deflex as was stated.  Re heat the handle area to get your ideal deflex and glue on your handle to hold that shape if that makes sense.  Best of luck. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2023, 11:44:57 am »
Looks like you got it all straightened out and a great start to an awesome bow. It’ll be awesome to see it have that profile at brace after you bend the reflex.

I’m curious to see how you build up the handle. Mostly the what are you gonna use for what look.

Kyle

Offline LeightonM

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2023, 11:59:03 am »
Jm2c
Cheers
Simk my plan is to reflex the rest of the limbs enough to get the tips to lay in front of the handle a couple of inches. We'll see :)