Author Topic: A successful 2 piece take down yew bow!  (Read 3871 times)

Offline superdav95

A successful 2 piece take down yew bow!
« on: July 02, 2023, 07:34:56 pm »
Well some may recall my failed attempt to build this yew take down fg sleeve build.  I exploded the bottom limb during the tiller part of the build.  All my fault.  Not the woods fault.   I built a replacement bottom limb and reconfigured the sleeve to include a section of rosewood in the tenon.  Well after all the efforts and mold release and carefull measurements and despite my preparations I made I cannot get this bow apart! it shoots hard and fast with little set but cannot get the dang this apart.  So I have a decision to make.  Do I go to the extreme and cut into the top part of the sleeve the covers the sapwood at the handle to let me more likley to get this thing apart and later patch it or just leave it?  I’m still undecided.  I wanted a heavier pull bow at 25” draw.  It currently is right around 60lbs at 24” and around just over 62lbs at 25”.  My aim for this bow finished is at 60lbs at 25”.  I’ve been working on my short draw lately specifically for this bow.  I had been wanting this bow for hunting and wanted the take down option.  Leaving it the way it is would not be the end of the world but my stubborn nature is trying to convince me that I get it apart.  It shoots nice.  This bow was a bit of a journey build and failed attempts but worst comes to worse it’s shoots well and looks a bit funky.  The bottom limb has the character hills and valleys in it as opposed to the top limb.  I’ll call it jeckel and hide.  It was a tricky tiller with the bumpy bottom limb but in the end I got the bend looking the way I wanted.  Thanks for continuing along the journey of this bow build.  Cheers.  Dave.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 06:11:20 pm by superdav95 »
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

Re: A failed 2 piece take dow yew bow.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2023, 07:36:46 pm »
More pics

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2023, 07:38:49 pm »
Few more…

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2023, 07:44:22 pm »
When I made one like that and couldn't get it apart, I finally used a wooden screw clamp and a wooden mallet...a couple of sharp hits on the clamp and it popped apart.  I wouldn't have tried it but I knew that I had plenty of wax on the joint before I wrapped it.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 07:48:20 pm by Bob Barnes »
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2023, 07:50:30 pm »
Beautiful bow, I am hard headed also but that would be a tough call for me, good luck on what ever you decide.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline superdav95

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2023, 08:45:28 pm »
When I made one like that and couldn't get it apart, I finally used a wooden screw clamp and a wooden mallet...a couple of sharp hits on the clamp and it popped apart.  I wouldn't have tried it but I knew that I had plenty of wax on the joint before I wrapped it.  Good luck.

Thanks bob.  I’m gonna try this!   I’ve got some
c clamps and blocks of wood to protect the bow and try wracking it. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2023, 08:53:42 pm »
Beautiful bow, I am hard headed also but that would be a tough call for me, good luck on what ever you decide.  :)
 Pappy

Thanks Pat.  My wife thinks I should just go for broke with it as I can always just make another one.  She also admits that she has no idea how much work goes into a bow let alone what went into this specific bow.  Gonna shoot another 100 arrows through it tomorrow hoping it loosens up possibly. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2023, 06:21:23 am »
Good luck.
Shooting it sounds like a good idea, flex and vibration generally loosens things up... make haste slowly... the big hammer is the last resort.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2023, 09:05:39 am »
I wish I had advise to offer, but I hope it works out for you.  One piece or two, either way, it's a really nice bow.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2023, 03:13:44 pm »
Only though I had and you may have already tried it or dismissed it was to heat it up with your heat gun while clamped in a vise. Not sure weather that’s a viable option or not. Anyway heat it then try and get it apart.. might be the dumbest idea ever but I excel at those so I thought I put it out there.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2023, 05:44:58 pm »
Only though I had and you may have already tried it or dismissed it was to heat it up with your heat gun while clamped in a vise. Not sure weather that’s a viable option or not. Anyway heat it then try and get it apart.. might be the dumbest idea ever but I excel at those so I thought I put it out there.

Haha. Thanks mike.  I haven’t tried that yet.  I may have to shoot a bunch more first and give that a whirl if still no go.  One things for sure it will be a tight fit if I ever get it apart. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Hamish

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2023, 08:28:58 pm »
 Heat gun sounds like it might be worth a try, but I wouldn't go overboard with the heat, use hair dryer  temperature(warm, not so hot you can't touch it). Another option would be to run it under the hot tap, like you do to loosen up a tight jar.

I would then heavily wax both parts and let it dry, so next time it should be easier to take apart.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2023, 08:48:22 pm »
Heat gun sounds like it might be worth a try, but I wouldn't go overboard with the heat, use hair dryer  temperature(warm, not so hot you can't touch it). Another option would be to run it under the hot tap, like you do to loosen up a tight jar.

I would then heavily wax both parts and let it dry, so next time it should be easier to take apart.

Thanks Hamish.  I did some more shooting today and still not budging.  I may have to resort to a little heat. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2023, 09:40:10 pm »
Agree, blow dryer over heat gun. Heat gun might tend to melt that, I assume fiberglass handle.
Hopefully you’ll get it apart without anything other then shooting it a bunch..
Good looking bow regardless

Offline Selfbowman

Re: A failed 2 piece take down yew bow.
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2023, 09:41:48 am »
Nice bow Dave
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!