Author Topic: Osage bark  (Read 1388 times)

Offline Muskyman

Osage bark
« on: July 22, 2023, 07:08:35 pm »
Getting a good looking Osage tree from a neighbor it’s about the size of a telephone pole and probably 8 - 10 ft tall to the first limbs. It was a victim of storm damage. I brought one small limb home that wasn’t really much to look at and after splitting it I was draw knifing the bark n sapwood off and it started peeling off like hickory does. Anyone ever seen this?

Offline superdav95

Re: Osage bark
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2023, 09:01:06 pm »
Makes sense to me.  It’s the summer months when the moisture or sap for white woods do the same.  I’ve never been able to have access to a live fresh cut Osage here up in great white north.  It makes sense though.  I would cover that back like you’ve done before soon to prevent splits and checks.  That’s a good score!   
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2023, 09:54:35 pm »
Wasn’t much of a piece of wood Dave, just was laying there so I took it home. Now the trunk of the tree really looks good. The limbs I looked at have nice growth rings. The bark on the trunk looks really straight. I’m hoping to get some nice staves from it.  I’ll probably strip the bark and sapwood off pretty quick and put some polyurethane on the ends and back. I just really hope it happens, it’s a really nice looking piece of wood.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2023, 08:24:26 am »
The bark of any tree will peel off during the growing season. The only part of a tree that is actually alive is the cambium, between the bark and sapwood and the growing tips of each branch. It is at this growing area, the cambium that gives way with the bark allowing it to "slip".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2023, 06:03:13 pm »
Good to know Pat. Don’t have much experience with stave harvesting so anything I can learn is a good thing. I’m hopeful I’ll be peeling some bark off an Osage soon..

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2023, 10:35:30 pm »
If you peel the bark off of green osage you better be prepared to remove the sapwood also or it will most likely check along the back. Once the sapwood is off seal the back heartwood ring well or it will check. Seal the ends also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hamish

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2023, 03:00:58 am »

Absolutely Pat, Sapwood loves to check once the bark is off, especially in Summer. Sometimes it will even check with a couple of coats of sealer on the back.

Musky that scrap looks good enough to get a bow out , is it long enough?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2023, 07:08:25 am »
Seen that lots of times, always love stripping green wood if I can, also if you take the bark off be sure to go on down to yellow wood at the same time,don't have to chase a ring but get to the yellow, as Hamish said the sap wood will check very quickly once the bark is off, I try never to take the bark off until I am prepared to go to the yellow wood then seal back and get in a cool place quickly and leave for a while. :) Nice looking stave. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2023, 08:26:06 am »
The picture I took was just a small piece of that stave. I took the sapwood off down to the yellow wood and sealed it with polyurethane. It’s got a pretty good knot in the limb. I’m not really sure if I can work around it or if it might end up being a billet. I’ll take a picture later and post it. It’s pretty much right in the middle of the limb. And possibly a inch in diameter.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2023, 09:54:38 am »
If the knot is in the middle of the limb that is your best option even if it is an inch or more in diameter. Look at "Hole in the bow", Chuck's bows. Some of those knot holes are 4" or more.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2023, 08:42:57 pm »
Pat, if that’s the center shot bow from black locus, if I remember correctly, I’ve seen it. Really unique bow for sure.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2023, 08:50:45 pm »
Picture of the knot   Not a very good picture but you probably get the idea