Author Topic: Northeastern NY knappable rock types and location  (Read 1814 times)

Offline N1ChiefRocka

Northeastern NY knappable rock types and location
« on: November 08, 2023, 04:31:51 pm »
Hello guys, I'm new to the site. I'm also new to knapping and in need of material to learn on. Lately I've been really interested in this as a hobby and have purchased a traditional aboriginal knapping kit. I've also been checking out rocky spots along the rivers around here for chert but no luck so far. I live in the Northeastern part of New York. West of Lake Champlain. I haven't been able to find out much information on the area. From what I've heard, it is not very common around here but some types can be found. There is one map I found that shows a big area of limestone as the bed rock and I've been searching through the river that runs through that area. I read that chert can be found as nodules on river banks in areas of limestone. Any information, tips or guidance in the right direction to get me started is appreciated. Thank you so much!  8)

Offline N1ChiefRocka

Re: Northeastern NY knappable rock types and location
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2023, 04:36:32 pm »
Also if anyone knows a few different types of knappable rocks besides chert that would be options in my area, that would be great! 8)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 11:31:44 pm by N1ChiefRocka »

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2023, 09:04:48 pm »
Hi Chief,

That part of the country is real tough for knappable rock.  I know Mt Kineo in Maine was quarried by natives for the region.  Rough stuff though…pretty sure it’s rhyolite.  You can start with glass.  Same advice is usually given in the beginning…get a box of Georgetown to learn on.  Bad material makes for a slow curve. 

A traditional aboriginal kit?  So no copper?
1’—>1’

Offline N1ChiefRocka

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2023, 11:44:26 pm »
Awesome! Thanks for your time Parnell. I'll look into getting a big order of Georgetown chert to hone my skills. Also I had already heard glass was a great way to practice too. Not sure if I would just order solid blocks of glass or maybe reach out to someone local in this area that works with it. Yeah I went with the antler tools and hammerstone kit. Yeah maybe for a beginner copper tools is the way to go.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2023, 06:39:03 am »
the flat bottom of a bottle is the source of glass you are looking for
search youtube for "junkyard knapping" (there are also plenty of similar videos)
also learn how to detach the bottom of a bottle using a big nail and shaking. Much safer than a random break

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2023, 09:13:54 am »
Abo knapping is more challenging.  You might find an old tv to break or an inexpensive glass tabletop at a thrift store.  Something like that.

I just really recommend a copper kit with an Ishi stick and good material at the starting line.  You want to set yourself up as it takes time and lots of broken rock!  Try your best to find someone that you can visit or a knap-in to get to in the future.  Intensely study the relationship between platform manipulation/preparation and the center line of thickness.  Platform prep and abrading takes NUANCE!
1’—>1’

Offline N1ChiefRocka

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2023, 10:40:47 pm »
Great advice guys. Excited to get started. Thanks again! 8)