Author Topic: Heat treating by radiation  (Read 8924 times)

Offline Bob Barnes

Re: Heat treating by radiation
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2023, 09:55:24 pm »
So...after 3 or 4 years since this thread started... what's being used now for heat treating? 
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline superdav95

« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2023, 10:38:37 pm »
I still do the bed of hot coals method and just watch over it and monitor it closely.  If I notice it’s getting a little hotter then I like I adjust the height and watch it toast slowly.  2-3 hours in good weather usually yields great results.  The neat idea of the radiant heat set up with electric or gas fired radiant heat is that it can be controlled and set up in a shop if safety precautions are taken.  Much of the guess work and repeatable heat treatment can be done from bow to bow.  The obvious problem with the coal bed is getting consistent repeatable results from bow to bow.  The last batch of bows I did this way were all heat treated same bed but some had deeper cook then others.  Efforts are made to minimize this to some degree but invariably still get some variations in heat from spot to spot.  To minimize some of these hot spots and get more consistency I’ll move bows around and shuffle them from spot to spot.  It helps but the temp controlled electric heat treatment system set up would be ideal for consistency.  Just my 2 cents. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2023, 01:51:44 pm »
So...after 3 or 4 years since this thread started... what's being used now for heat treating?

This is the first I have seen of this post. I really like the idea but seldom make bows anymore. I will still probably get myself set up to do it. Several things I like about it. #1 By simply adjusting the distance you can control the temp. 2. I would set it up with a temp sensor on the back of the bow. # It might make it easier to monitor and test how heat affects the back of the bow, I have always wondered if keeping the back as cool as possible was better or bringing it up to a certain temp was better. Heat guns are kind of a pain in the ass when you need a lot of test samples.

Offline willie

« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2023, 02:13:10 pm »
I have always wondered if keeping the back as cool as possible was better or bringing it up to a certain temp was better.

keeping the heat element above and radiating heat down to the belly surface seems to be key to preventing hot air going places you dont want. 

if you were really concerned about the back and were using a form to hold your bow, then it might be reasonable to keep a wet pad between the back and the form.  you could probally rewet it in place as it dries during the process and get a idea of the back temps by watching for steam