Author Topic: Bubbles in sinew backing?  (Read 1778 times)

Offline Marin

Re: Bubbles in sinew backing?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2023, 04:56:58 pm »
I did sizing as well and made sure to degrease the back too. I did hear about others degreasing sinew before applying but have aloso met plenty who don't so I think it depends on what sinew you are using or what bow style you want to do.
But as I mentioned before, these bubbles only appear in the crowning strip of the second layer, not the first layer where it was being applied directly to wood that had been degreased and sized. Not sure if that has to do with the fact I didn't size enough in between layers or if I added too much glue when doing this crowning layer. Or maybe Knox gelatin glue just has a tendency to do this.

Online superdav95

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2023, 09:38:39 am »
You may be correct on the Knox glue.  I’ve used it a little for some projects and didn’t trust it personally.  It seemed to me to be slightly less hard of a glue.  I had a failure too so was bias against it.   When stripping it off to salvage things I noticed it was grumbly and soft in places. Bad batch maybe I don’t know for sure.  But since then I’ve used hide glue granular that I buy or make myself out of sinew. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Marin

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2023, 08:58:43 pm »
Okay, I’ll try to use “legit” hide glue granules next time.
But you think these bubbles won’t provide a major performance problem for the bow?

Online superdav95

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2023, 03:38:59 pm »
I think you’ll be alright.  But I would try some hide glue to compare.  I used to get mine at 3 rivers.  I’ve been making my own for little bit now with all my scraps. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com