Author Topic: Madake and Tonkin Bamboo Backed English Longbows  (Read 1116 times)

Offline Lehtis

Madake and Tonkin Bamboo Backed English Longbows
« on: May 04, 2023, 10:56:50 am »
Some time ago I made two Black Bamboo backed English Longbow stylish TD bows which, unfortunately, broke at the very beginning. Then a friend in Belgium contacted me and promised to send me some good bamboo as Christmas present. And so he did! I got one Tonkin and one Madake bamboo slice on top of three common Moso bamboo slices. I decided to convert those two hard bamboos to bows with Purple Heart core and Osage Orange belly. That Purple Heart I´ve bought some years ago and I succeeded to buy (under the counter) three pairs of European origin Osage Orange billets. I used Smooth-On EA40 for gluing the parts together and added some water buffalo horn pieces to convert the staves more like bows. I hope the photos tell the story clear enough.

Offline Lehtis

Re: Madake and Tonkin Bamboo Backed English Longbows
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 10:59:05 am »
Some more...

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 11:00:13 am »
... and more ...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 11:59:47 am by Lehtis »

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2023, 12:02:20 pm »
Now I´ve split this chain to two bow related chains in which you can find each bow finalized.

Madake backed here: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,72225.0.html

Tonkin backed here: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,72226.0.html

Offline bassman211

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2023, 11:17:35 pm »
Nice.

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 07:09:11 am »
The story concerning Tonkin continues; click the link in above message. Tonkin failed and the bow is now Moso Bamboo backed but 12 pounds lighter.