Author Topic: Yew stave straightening  (Read 2529 times)

Offline Muskyman

Yew stave straightening
« on: March 15, 2023, 01:19:21 pm »
I got this as a present. Posted it before but now I’m thinking about starting a bow with it. Yew stave 73 inches long but will cut it down to 72. Has almost 2 1/4 inch bend and I’m guessing I should take it down to about floor tiller then try to straighten it. Couple other things I’m curious about are the knots and should I try to avoid them with my layout

« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 01:22:25 pm by Muskyman »

Offline Muskyman

Re: Yew stave straightening
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2023, 01:20:55 pm »
Knots

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2023, 01:21:41 pm »
Another pic

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2023, 01:44:22 pm »
Sorry muskyman I have zero experience with yew. I know it’s a different critter.

I would suggest watching the video Del posted a link to on his new years bow in the English war bows section. I watched it and it was quite informative

Del has lots of videos that would surely be helpful

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2023, 02:19:49 pm »
That knot is well below any line your bow will take on. Yew will bend and stay. But, you want to over bend by at least 25%. The thinner and more flexible the limbs are when you heat it up the more likely it stays put. I'd thin the sapwood down to a 1/4" thick max before you start doing much else.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2023, 02:29:30 pm »
I’ll try and find it.  I’ve never really straightened anything and am just a bit unsure as to how. I have watched others do it but, not really anything like this.
Pearl, I’m planning on trying to take it more to bow shape before I start trying to bend it. Planning on trying to make a jig of some kind before I start trying to do any straightening.. probably should get a few more clamps to.
Thanks again gentlemen

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2023, 02:45:37 pm »
Went to Del’s site and after about a minute I subscribed. He’s a yew wood guy for sure. I’m pretty sure I’ll sure I’ll find some help on his site, just need to go through some of his videos and find one on straightening yew staves. Great resource for bow building.
Thanks for that Bjrogg

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2023, 03:03:30 pm »
That bloke :) is on here often. I'm sure he will gladly chime in and help all you need. He is one of the old timers around here.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2023, 06:19:49 pm »
First Yew bow of the year had a load of deflex and some knotty areas:- Here's the playlist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJvkD1ib4YI&list=PLBz2tD9476KTaf_X7Em-n2t7jv4i1kCqm
And here's a post from my blog showing a knot that I managed to fill successfully on a 90# ELB
https://bowyersdiary.blogspot.com/2012/01/mystery-knot.html
Loads of youtube vids and blog posts on steam bending/straightening
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Online superdav95

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2023, 06:46:31 pm »
Your in good hands here with these guys mike.  I’ve referred to dels in for for myself.  Good stuff.  I’ve got a similar piece of yew staring at me right now.  Best of luck. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2023, 10:03:53 pm »
Haven’t had a chance to watch the videos Del posted yet but, I’m going to be watching them and others on his site.. I did want to post a photo I took today of the bend in my stave.
I pulled a string down it to show the bend and where it lays.. it’s about 4 to 4 1/2 inches from the center of the stave to the string. I’m hoping that’s doable. I did watch one of Del’s videos where he bent one in the handle section so I feel like I can bend it there. Just hoping I can bend it that much

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2023, 04:30:48 am »
That'll be fine... just give it plenty of time in the steam and over bend it slightly.
Steam bends can slowly creep back sometimes (even a week later!) but if that happens, heat treating seems to fix the bend in place.
Del

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2023, 09:52:29 am »
Thank you Del. I’m going to give it a go following the video on your site. Take it down to about floor tiller. Handle area to about a inch and bend, if I remember correctly, steam it and bend about 25 percent more then the correction needed. I don’t have a steamer like yours but have a pot and some foil. About how long in the steam before bending. 1/2 a hour?

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2023, 10:40:11 am »
I'd say 1/2 hour minimum. 40 mins to be safe.
Do a dry run so you can get it jigged up or onto a form as quick as possible once it's out of the steam. Or even better arrange some sort of jig so you can steam it while it's on the jig and bend it ito position after the appropriate time... that works well 'cos you can lean on it an feel when it starts to soften up and start bending.
Del

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2023, 09:03:01 pm »
Did some work on my stave today. Got it taken down pretty good and closing in on my bow shape..
Need to thin it down some more. It’s about 1 1/4 now.. probably try to get it close to floor tiller tomorrow and get setup for some bending. It’s also got a little twist in one limb I’ll try to get out after I straighten it up..