Author Topic: Flooded wood  (Read 1146 times)

Offline GlisGlis

Flooded wood
« on: March 22, 2023, 01:25:08 pm »
Today I watched a documentary on restoration of differents old art objects that for one reason or another have been flooded
There were many wood objects (furnitures, frames of paintings, old doors..).
One of the restores said that old, well dried wood will absorb and be swallen by water, then when it dry again it shrinks and most of the times it is contracted more than at the beginning. In some case significantly more shrinked.

I was wondering if the dry-wet-dry would produce a more compact wood and if there could be some desirable effects for bow making.
Any experience in this regard?

Offline Bob Barnes

Re: Flooded wood
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 01:58:02 pm »
It's an interesting idea, and if it works at all, then maybe it's better to boil a limb before bending it onto a form?
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 02:35:24 pm »
I have heard of wood cured in water, but dont remember details

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 10:42:25 am »
Al Herrin in Cherokee Bows and Arrows talked about soaking wood (osage?) in  a brook to season it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2023, 11:03:01 am »
Yes I saw a video where they stored the harvested logs in the water. I want to say for six months but don’t quote me on that.

I’ve heard for protection from bugs but I’m sure it could change the properties of the wood. Not sure if for the better or worse.

Maybe it just what Arvin is looking for.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2023, 01:44:13 pm »
I shoot with a young man several times a year that brought an osage bow to a shoot last year that he cured submerged underwater. It turned out great, and shot nice. It did take on a darker tone probably due to the water color. My understanding is the water actually draws the moisture out of the wood, therefore drying the stave faster than air drying with less risk of drying checks. I wasn’t smart enough to ask him how long he left stave submerged, or whether he left the bark on or not.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 01:52:59 pm »
Whats that guys name and number???
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline superdav95

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2023, 02:40:27 pm »
Ya my buddy was a deep water scupa  welder for years and he told me that there still got all kinds of logs at the bottom of the st Lawrence river up here that are so hard and dense.  I think he said the same thing about it changing the wood properties.  Some of the logs which are massive are sold for big money now and they make all kinds of high end stuff with them.  I think he said they were pine logs that are pulled up after decades in the water.   Cool stuff though. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2023, 03:38:09 pm »
Arvin, I don’t have a phone # for him, but I can track him down. What all do you want me to ask and I’ll try to get in contact with him?

Online Hamish

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2023, 07:25:11 pm »
It might have been Elmer in the 1930's, or at least another contemporary archery author, dismissed the idea of water seasoning. The thought by contemporary bowyers at the time was it made bows with inferior cast, compared to air dried. The process lasted a couple of months, usually in a flowing stream(rather than still water like a pond). A very different process to +20 years or more of submersion.

Long term water seasoning, as mentioned in the original post, may indeed change the properties of wood, but its unlikely to be for the better in terms of performance with bows. Remember the Mary Rose bows that were salvaged around the late 1970's , early 1980's? They were in immaculate condition, when cleaned. The problem is they nearly all broke when being shot. Replicas were instead made to test the design and dimensions of the bows. The sapwood is likely to have deteriorated on the yew. Whether the heartwood had changed, I haven't heard any mention either way.

If any timber might work with the submerged treatment, osage would be the best candidate. Locust would be worth a try too.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2023, 10:04:58 pm »
Well I want to know everything he knows about it! Is that asking to much?🤠 also is he interested in another bow.🤠

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2023, 10:09:43 pm »
Thanks Hamish.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2023, 04:39:36 am »
Just googled "seasoning wood in water"
From the first result:

Water seasoning is the process in which timber is immersed in water flow which helps to remove the sap present in the timber. It will take 2 to 4 weeks of time and after that the timber is allowed to dry.

This could be another aspect of the game
In the documentary I watched they talked about seasoned and dry, old wood that shrinks after being in water and dried again

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2023, 12:13:50 pm »
OK, that is starting to make sense.  I was a little tripped up by the idea of removing moisture from wood by putting it in water.   ;D  But putting it in the creek to wash out all the sap and impurities (whatever that might mean), then drying it in the air to contract the fibers?  I could see how that could result in a stronger, snappier piece of wood.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2023, 11:51:38 am »
 I think the op is talking about repeated soaking and drying. As each time it dries it shrinks a little more. Interesting thought.