Author Topic: Osage color  (Read 1313 times)

Offline Muskyman

Re: Osage color
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2023, 02:45:09 pm »
Also the brown looking wood is pretty dry and crunchy. Might have to try another piece. Tried to get it off but might go to deep into the billet to be viable for what I want to do.
Might be on to plan B

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2023, 02:56:05 pm »
Just looking on my phone, but I’m thinking wind checks.

From my understanding they are caused by the wind twisting the tree while it’s growing.

If they are not running off the edge they should be ok. I treat them like drying checks. Fill them with thin CA glue.

If they are delaminating grains I might be more concerned with them.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2023, 03:13:50 pm »
I have one I’ll post

Does it look like this?

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2023, 03:57:59 pm »
These go all the way through my stave.
Bjrogg

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2023, 04:31:34 pm »
They kind do. I’m hoping I can cut them out before I get close to limb thickness.. hope you’re right Bjrogg. The brown wood is worrisome too. If I had more experience with the wood I might not sweat it so much.. It just seems really dry and crunchy. I took a lot of it off and it seems better.. might take another billet down and work it down and see if it’s better..
Thanks for the photo and thoughts on this.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2023, 04:55:38 pm »
If they are going through your stave from back to belly and running length ways. They will probably be fine.

Reduce your stave. If you still have them soak them really good with thin super glue. Let it run in from every direction and then let it sit a day.

Then it should be fine.

If they are running between rings from side to side of the stave. Delaminating. Then I would be more concerned.

Bjrogg

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2023, 06:33:04 pm »
Wind shakes, it is rare osage tree I cut that doesn't have them, I just work around them.

This is a bad example of what I cut, I get good staves or billets on either side of the cracks.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2023, 07:43:16 pm »
Thanks Eric, that’s similar to what the piece looks like that I got this from. It had a side that had lots of brown wood on it. Starting to feel better about it with all the knowledge about the wood coming my way from this site.. It’s what makes it such a great site. Can’t find answers for questions like this in a book or online..
Thanks