Author Topic: Help on a dogwood fltabow's tiller (edit: bow explosion and finished pics)  (Read 928 times)

Offline Weird dude with a bow

Hi everyone

I've been scratching my hair off for a while on the tiller of this dogwood (cornus sanguinea) bow. I think it might be working to much at the fades, but I'm not sure of that, what's your opinion? it is relatively straight when unstrung, I'm scared I might have made the fade a bit too agressive, but that impression might be an optical illusion due to the small handle (only 2.4" long) the right limb is a bit charachterial wich ad to the struggle, it will become the bottom limb

thanks by advance! have a nice day
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 05:52:09 am by FierceGallic »
Sorry for spelling and grammatical errors, I'm french!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Help on a dogwood fltabow's tiller
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2023, 11:10:31 am »
Left side looks fantastic and the right is stiff near the center of the limb, maybe just a bit towards the grip from center limb.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Aksel

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2023, 11:32:39 am »
agree with PEARL.  Looking good. Tad stiff on right side 1/4 outside fade.
Stoneagebows

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2023, 12:32:15 pm »
I agree also.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2023, 01:56:42 pm »
Without seeing a unbraced profile I would agree. All in all not too bad.

If you got that area bending a little more it would take a little stress off your fades you are concerned about to.

Welcome to PA and your English is much better than my French

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2023, 03:10:18 am »
Thanks for the kind comments guys

there's nothing like the help other bowyers eyes when you get home form 8 hours of works behind a computer screen and try to figure out what's wrong in the curve of a bow in a dark basement

I will try to finish this bow today and post pictures this week-end if it survives the first 200 shots

So
I finaly finished the bow and took it in the wild to get some good pictures of it. Along with the snow leopard and the sasquatch, selfbows are probably one the most difficult thing to get a good picture of...yet here they are:

it was about 55 pounds at 26. It gave up after a few shot. the crack occured at 2 inches from the top tip. As I was shapping the bow with the drawnife, this spot felt more brittle, and nor me neither my drawnife were able to figure out the fiber's direction around that spot that had a lot of "missed shoots". At examination, the wood feels very porous where it boke off, it was probably already dead when I harvested it.

S**t happens, onto the next one !
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 06:03:24 am by FierceGallic »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Dang that was a nice looking bow sir.

I would definitely blame that one on the wood. That spot looks bad from the picture.

Maybe you could shorten it up a little?

You did good. Don’t let the break get you down

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline airkah

Tiller looked great! Bow was beautiful! So sorry it failed!

Offline superdav95

I agree with bj.  You might be able to sorted it up.  It was looking great.  Too bad. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Dang that was a nice looking bow sir.

I would definitely blame that one on the wood. That spot looks bad from the picture.

Maybe you could shorten it up a little?

You did good. Don’t let the break get you down

Bjrogg

I won't trust this piece of wood anymore, the wood is definitely to blame. The two species of dogwood we have here are totaly unbreakable usualy
I left it in the wood to goes back to were it came from

I don't give up on dogwood this is one of the best possible choice for bow making here in western europe