Author Topic: Stove pipe hot box  (Read 3411 times)

Offline Key

Stove pipe hot box
« on: May 21, 2008, 05:32:50 pm »
I put three sections of six inch stove pipe together and I am going to place a light bulb in  and cap the ends. I read where this is one way to take the mosture out of a stave. Questions.

What temp. should I shoot for inside the pipe, size of light bulb if you will?

How long should a floor tillered bow or blank stave be left in the pipe?

Should I use the pipe to remover mosture before I heat treat the belly of my  bows?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Roger

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Stove pipe hot box
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 07:23:18 pm »
Roger, You will have to play with the temp. You will have good air movement with a stove pipe and heat about 90deg to about 110 will be fine. Start with a 40 watt bulb. The best way to tell if the M/C of your bow has reached equilibrium is to weigh it every other day and when it stops loosing weight, its ready. With a stove pipe you should flip the bow every day to dry both limbs evenly.
  You only want to heat treat dry wood or you will cause drying checks(cracks).     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Key

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 11:04:04 pm »
Thanks Pat, I have the stove pipe project complet now. I put a thermometer and humidity gage through one side in the middle. The bulb is at one end so I will rotate the bow every day as you mentioned. I am going to let the bulb on all night and see what the temp is in the morning.  No bow in the pipe at this point.

I have a good set of plans for a real nice hot box that includes a thermostate. I need to make time to build it. The pipe was quick and easy for now.
Roger

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 12:21:24 am »
Roger..........Ifn ya put another bulb in the other end ya wont have ta flip the stave end ta end. Or a fan, go ta a auto parts store ya can find a small fan used in vehicles. Ifn ya move air over the wood it will dry faster and wont check. Kinna like dryin' clothes on a line outside in the wind si ? ;D I have a 8 " pipe dryer with a center section that I can open er close as  needed. Funny, built it but never use it ! Duh ! ;D Cost me about $25..............bob