Author Topic: Honoring two bow builders.  (Read 1376 times)

Offline Badger

Honoring two bow builders.
« on: February 26, 2023, 03:57:05 pm »
      Mark St Loius and Don case. I have no idea if Don and Mark know each other or not. Remembering Don's recent accomplishment of breaking the 200 fps barrier. In my view that was a major accomplishment that I feel should be noted somewhere. I also think the story behind it is worth hearing. The bow is a Mark St Louis design. I would like for Don to tell us the biggest struggles he was having as he got closer to the barrier. Hopefully, Don will jump in here and entertain us. ( hope I am not putting too much pressure on Don.)

Offline bentstick54

Re: Honoring two bow builders.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023, 04:21:33 pm »
I would definitely like to hear some more.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2023, 04:37:32 pm »
Would have to agree with every word Badger.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline airkah

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2023, 06:45:58 pm »
I'd love to see that bow

Offline bushboy

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2023, 08:23:07 pm »
Crazy Canucks!..lol
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2023, 09:21:15 pm »
   I would also like to hear Mark's thoughts on this. I know that Mark never perfected his testing techniques. But I do feel fairly certain that Mark had been hovering there for some time.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2023, 11:00:08 pm »
I would be very interested in this as well. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2023, 07:49:37 am »
Two of the best for sure!
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2023, 09:06:26 am »
Don and I live at opposite ends of Canada so I don't really know him plus I've never been to BC. I know he was struggling to find some good maple for backings so I offered him some but he declined

I knew the design was a good one when I first started making them years ago.  I never made it to 200 though but possibly if I had made myself a proper testing station with a shooting machine I might have.  I think I made it to mid 190's but going from there to 200 would not have been easy and an accomplishment in itself so kudos to Don
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2023, 09:43:25 am »
I’ll let Don know about this thread, I’m sure he’d be happy to answer any questions.
He lives about 1.5 hours up island from me, he still comes out to our gatherings but mostly just to give us his jigs and bow building stuff :) 

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2023, 11:42:07 am »
Hi all. I just got Goat's e-mail. I am extremely honored to be mentioned in the same sentence as Mark. All I did was stand on his shoulders. I just don't know what I can say about making fast bows. Once I saw the Wilcox Duoflex and Mark's bows I just knew that was the direction I wanted to go. I knew boo backed yew was a great combo so I used that. From then on it seemed to be just getting as much recurve in the bow as I could. It made them tough to string and I really don't know how long they would have lasted because I didn't shoot them much. I was never a good shot and after a while you get tired of beating a dead horse. Once I stopped shooting regularly my time as a bow builder was limited. Just woke one morning and didn't want to do it any more. I still like hearing about flight shooting and I watch Del's Youtube channel regularly so the interest is still there. When I stared giving away all my stuff I held back a few strips of yew and some boo so I'm not quite dead yet. I'll try to answer any questions but we went through this a few months ago.
Thank you Badger for thinking I deserved to be in Mark's class. I'm definitely not worthy. Do you still have the bow or did Alan take it?
Don

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2023, 11:56:48 am »
Great to hear from you again DC. Maybe that bug will bite you again someday.

How’s your boat coming along?

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2023, 12:21:57 pm »
Hey BJ. Boat is slow but it's not a race. Maybe a bow after the boat. Don't think there's two boats in me.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2023, 01:23:13 pm »
Very cool to recognize these two for their contributions.  That’s what I love about this community.  Solid bunch here and always willing and ready to share their knowledge and experience.  Gives aspiring Boyers like myself and many others on here. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2023, 03:27:30 pm »
really enjoyed watching you make those bows :)