Author Topic: What do you do with your old bows?  (Read 3000 times)

Offline airkah

What do you do with your old bows?
« on: February 18, 2023, 07:32:56 pm »
So the room in my house I keep all of my bows in is about to become a baby's room here in a few months. I have some bows that I love that I'll probably hang on a bow rack in my office. But I don't know what to do with the others - mostly early bows that I don't really want to display. So I'm looking for ideas - what do you all do with old bad/mediocre bows?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: What do you do with your old bows?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 08:04:34 pm »
Fortunately or unfortunately. I’m not sure which. I haven’t run out of room for mine yet.

I have a hard time throwing out anything. I think it’s the way I was brought up. I really need someone who isn’t afraid to throw out anything come over and get rid of a bunch of stuff.

I’m guessing it’s going to be up to my kids and grandkids when I’m gone.

Is that baby room being filled by your baby Airkah? If so congratulations and maybe you can redo one into a baby bow.

Bjrogg

PS nice to see you posting again
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2023, 10:13:04 pm »
I have several bows stored under the bed.  Some in sleeves, some not. 

I'm a father of 3, they have claimed about every square inch of this place :) 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2023, 10:47:19 pm »
Find some kids to give them to. Maybe a Boy Scout troop or a Boys and Girls club.
 Congratulations on your new baby room.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2023, 11:26:12 pm »
I have rounded up a bunch of my old bows, and a few new ones and donated them to charity auctions. I think I have 9 hanging on the wall now, way more than I need.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2023, 01:44:28 am »
I would go along with Pat and Eric, on the other hand, I am a "keeper of stuff" like BJ!  I still have the bow I bought when I graduated from high school a long time ago!  Got to be some kids in your circle of life that could use them.  As BJ asked, your baby in the new baby rom?  Make a dream catcher or a mobile hanger from one! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2023, 09:53:08 am »
I keep them to experiment with later. Maybe to try out a different way of hear treat, or learn how to sinew back, try the effects of different recurve radius and lengths. Old bows are valuable for learning on. Especially if you have a chronograph and speed test every change you make.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2023, 03:01:59 pm »
I kinda like Jerry’s idea of mobile .maybe a primitive theme baby room.

Have given them away. Like Pat and Eric.

And have redone them. Like Sleek.

The first bow I broke. I took one limb and made a bow for the mini bow challenge that was in Marshall Michigan. I called it aby normal From young Frankenstein.

I also just plain kept them just to remember the path.

Bjrogg

Offline TimBo

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2023, 10:42:59 pm »
Just to restate two points:
1. Congrats! 
2. Yes, they take over just about every square inch (I also have three kids, although one is in college and #2 will also be there next year). 

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2023, 05:16:06 am »
I’ve been thinking about attaching a bunch like a pinwheel and making a chandelier.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2023, 09:56:06 am »
I threw away a pile of bows when we moved houses a few years back. They weren't necessarily junk, but I was never going to do anything with them ever again. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2023, 10:39:30 am »
I cook brats with mine, keep a couple of the first and keep the good shooters or give them to someone who hat will appreciate them, if the are questionable I cook with them, have made a couple of walking sticks and and Altalatal of of a couple of the limbs. Still got about 40 though. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2023, 07:04:25 pm »
Listen, I have no better advice than anyone else, but I want to say congratulations, Airkah.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline airkah

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2023, 11:55:33 pm »
Yep my baby! Thank you all so much! I'll probably do a combination ofalot of this and keep way too many, some for me to shoot and others to experiment or rework into kids bows or whatever. I really don't like giving bows away unless its my best work.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2023, 07:25:13 am »
Yep my baby! Thank you all so much! I'll probably do a combination ofalot of this and keep way too many, some for me to shoot and others to experiment or rework into kids bows or whatever. I really don't like giving bows away unless its my best work.

That’s awesome Airkah.
So happy for you. Definitely a life changing experience and a journey that last forever. I’m guessing you make an awesome mom. Like making bows there will be a learning process.

Bjrogg