Author Topic: Pop quiz  (Read 991 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Pop quiz
« on: February 14, 2023, 09:52:45 am »
Which bow draws 40# at 28” one weighs 20.4 oz. one 20..9 oz, and 20.7oz . The other two are 48@28.Question two ? Is the thickness 8 times more critical than width in the tiller process??
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 03:34:05 pm by Selfbowman »
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Pop quiz
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 10:18:54 am »
I’ll give it a try.

I’m going to guess the top wider one. It appears slightly shorter though so I might be barking up the wrong tree.

My theory is that the mass is pretty close to the same so the narrower limbs would be thicker.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2023, 10:20:00 am »
Or I could be completely wrong lol
Bjrogg

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2023, 10:38:24 am »
They'e all good looking bows, Arvin.
This is a trick question so I will choose the bottom one.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Kidder

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2023, 12:07:52 pm »
Oooh fun times! I’ll guess the narrowest bow on the bottom is the lightest weight and lightest draw. I’d be interested to know the difference in set but I bet that the way you build bows there is little difference. The only way to truly answer this would be to send them to me to inspect!  ;D

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2023, 03:31:03 pm »
Same order.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2023, 03:56:15 pm »
That does change things. I don’t think my theory was right.

Bjrogg

Offline superdav95

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2023, 04:04:41 pm »
Isn’t this fun!   Well my brain hurts just thinking about this but I’ll take a stab at it!  My guess is the middle one.  I base this on purely my own experience with narrow bows vs wider limb bows and how much weight can be retained in draw with thickness in the belly  vs width removal.   The middle one looks little thinner then the top one and it’s also longer too which would lead me to believe it’s the 40 pounder.  Now I hear what others are saying and I agree that a lot does depend on how a particular bow is tillered and build will determine much of this too.  Set on all 3 seem fairly similar to me in the pics.  The top two bows are about the same width to my eye with the top one maybe a little wider near the handle out of fades.  It’s also little shorter too which was already pointed out so this sorta rules this one out for me.  The fact that the all weight about the same in interesting too.  Thickness does make a difference way more then width for poundage in draw so based on that I’m sticking with the middle one at 40#.  So many variables to consider on this. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2023, 04:32:22 pm »
Just a guess but I'm going to say the top one is the 40 pounder. Not all Osage is created equal. Typically lighter colored wood does not have with darker color wood has. I've built some lighter colored stuff that by looks you'd guess it was up in the 60s or 70 lb range but it was really in the high 30s or low 40s

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2023, 11:13:25 pm »
Ok if you picked the middle one you win the donut. I was surprised with the most heavy in mass came in at 40@28.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2023, 07:39:24 am »
With three different size grips I can't see how mass means anything at all. The grips alone weigh 2-4 oz different than each other.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2023, 07:44:53 am »
With three different size grips I can't see how mass means anything at all. The grips alone weigh 2-4 oz different than each other.

I have always wondered about this, but I’m guessing that you keep track of the weight of handle removal?

I know you guys keep way better records and track of this stuff than I do.

I think it was a interesting pop quiz even if I didn’t get the donut.

Bjrogg

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2023, 08:37:11 am »
Pearl I’ve built enough of those handles that so many people don’t like that I  know about what one weighs. It’s close to 7oz the limbs make up the balance. . Yes some times they are bigger and some times they are smaller depending on the stave. When I go from the block Handle off the tiller tree and finish the handle up I take real close to 3oz off. The center stave was real dense. The added length is probably the reason for the lower draw weight for the most part. Yes was somewhat surprised about how much difference it made.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2023, 11:46:39 am »
Which bow draws 40# at 28” one weighs 20.4 oz. one 20..9 oz, and 20.7oz . The other two are 48@28.Question two ? Is the thickness 8 times more critical than width in the tiller process??

I can't answer the first question, but the answer to #2 is yes.

Mark

PS - I'm still working on a decent drawing for your bow design. I got sidetracked with work and home projects again...