Author Topic: Heat Temper  (Read 7748 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Heat Temper
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 02:33:51 pm »
If it is already glued up the heat treating will cause the glue to release. To heat treat a backed bow you would have to pre-tiller the belly, heat treat it then do your glue up.
   Also, hickory is hygroscopic, meaning it picks up and releases moisture quite readily. By using a water based glue, you have added more moisture to the wood. If you have a hot box you can speed up the drying process.        Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 07:09:35 pm »
Sorry about the advice on heat tempering the back of your hickory bow.  Pat B and Pappy have lots more experience than I have.

I've made a short hickory bow with a lot of heat-induced reflex in the handle.  The reflex was "pulling out" during tillering until I hit the back of the handle with the heat gun.  Of course, I didn't heat it as much as the belly.  It made a significant difference.  The handle is "bendy" and I haven't seen any cracks or heard any "snapping" sounds from the handle after about 200 shots.  It might just be a fluke?  It might be that my piece hickory is so strong that the weakening hasn't affected the bow?  I dunno....but I'd play it safe and listen to the guys with experience.   ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 08:19:31 pm »
Patrick, sounds like you probably didn't heat treat it, just lowered the moisture content.  Heat treating the back is dangerous at best.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah