Author Topic: Approximately how much weight will I gain...  (Read 1919 times)

Offline ssrhythm

Re: Approximately how much weight will I gain...
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2023, 04:36:58 pm »
Not sure Brad.  I’ve never sinewed over a cracked back, and I don’t want to waste the time and sinew for it to just break anyway.  The bow was too long to begin with…for a sinew backed recurve, it is way, way too long.  I’m aiming for 60-62 inches, so I think I’ll be gaining enough weight to just eliminate the compromised back.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2023, 02:05:42 pm »
how do you know the crack is only one growth ring

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2023, 02:39:34 pm »
show me a pic of crack,, so I am not just guessing

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2023, 04:58:12 pm »
Assuming you can consider the bow limb as a lever and the handle as the fulcrum, halving the bow in length should double the draw weight, Archimedes already provided a geometrical proof of this principle thousands of years ago.
So from that it's easy to calculate from the initial length and draw weight, and the intended draw weight the length required to get to that draw weight.
Or you can reverse it (how much do I gain from shortening X amount?)

I could send a spreadsheet with the details, you just have to copy the three values (length, current draw weight, intended draw weight) and it will output the desired bow length.
There are a few additional underlying assumptions, but in general this works pretty well.

For example, if your current bow is 65" and draws 45#, and you want to get to 50#, the new length should be 61.7", assuming the bow can take the extra strain.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2023, 05:49:32 pm »
or you could tie nocks at 61 and test before you cut,,

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2023, 04:21:58 am »
Great ideas and points to try and consider.  Bow is a scosh shy of 67” as is.  I’ll try to post a pic tomorrow. I can’t be sure it’s only in the top growth ring, but I think it is.  I worried about pulling it enough yo get good glue under it, but superstition CA would probably get in there.  If it’s into the next ring, I’ll probably shorten it more and make It my son’s new bow and just start another for Mo.  We are finally getting some decent temps to get out and do something with it starting tomorrow.  Thanks for all the input.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2023, 01:24:47 pm »
what caused the crack, how big is it etc,,

Offline Aksel

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2023, 11:05:01 am »
I just piked a 72" bow to 70". Gained 3#. It took a slight reflex out of it. It´s now straight, so it was a slight trade off but I think it was worth it.
Stoneagebows

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2023, 11:29:16 am »
You can always add reflex back into the bow with heat.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Aksel

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2023, 01:08:54 pm »
Pat,  I guess I could but it´s a reflexed kink on only one limb on a Mollegabet bow I´m working on, right on the fade where the limb transitions from bending to stiff outer limb, so I´m fine with it looking less wonky now.
Stoneagebows