Author Topic: Short bow build  (Read 3672 times)

Offline Aaron1726

Re: Short bow build
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2023, 09:49:10 am »
Tiller looks great. Good save.
Handles add ons pop because handles are bending.
Jawge

Thanks.  Yeah I'm going to keep that in mind if I ever try another glue on handle .

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2023, 09:55:35 am »
Put the add-on at the start and let extend into the fades a  bit.
I have to admit I have not done many of those. I do like handles that bend a little in a board bow particularly.

Jawge
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 10:16:54 am by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2023, 07:18:31 pm »
Got to work on this one a little bit today.  I got it to a little over 22in and it's pulling just shy of 31 lbs.  Thanks for the encouragement guys!  I'll shoot it a bit and then try to get it finished up. 

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2023, 07:35:43 am »
Turned out nice Aaron. I like the tiller. Nice even bend.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2023, 08:59:42 am »
Very nice bow. Good save.

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2023, 11:12:51 am »
Thanks yall, hopefully this incarnation will fare better than the original.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2023, 12:38:32 pm »
Nice bend.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2023, 08:08:45 pm »

Offline Ken

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2023, 02:10:55 pm »
Very interesting bow I'm very interested in short does and dogbane, of which I was unaware. How is the backing  holding up?

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2023, 10:53:48 pm »
Thanks Ken.  As for the backing, so far it's held up really good.  I've probably put 500 or so arrows through it so far and it's been fine.  Honestly I feel like the dogbane will outlast the oak on this one.  I made a dogbane string for it as well, just seemed right. 

Dogbane is tricky, though.  I like the thin fibers, they lay really clean and even, but it's also a pain to get all the outer bark off ( I can never get it all off) so those little chunks are a challenge to deal with, but it also gives it a cool natural camo.  I think you ought to try it, I'd be interested to hear how it goes, I couldn't find much on backing with it but figured I'd give it a shot.  Overall I'm happy with the results.  If nothing else, its kept the bow in one piece. I have some eastern red cedar that I want to tackle at some point and it might just get a dogbane backing as well  :)

Offline superdav95

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2023, 11:57:33 pm »
Cool little bow.   
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2023, 08:48:25 am »
Cool little bow.

Thanks, it was a fun build.  Glad I was able to save it from the burn pile  :)

Offline StickMark

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2023, 11:49:17 am »
I bet people who usually do not shoot stick bows will find that enjoyable.
My family shoots bows once a year, maybe two times, and one bow they enjoying shooting is just like that one you built.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2023, 12:06:13 pm »
Thanks Ken.  As for the backing, so far it's held up really good.  I've probably put 500 or so arrows through it so far and it's been fine.  Honestly I feel like the dogbane will outlast the oak on this one.  I made a dogbane string for it as well, just seemed right. 

Dogbane is tricky, though.  I like the thin fibers, they lay really clean and even, but it's also a pain to get all the outer bark off ( I can never get it all off) so those little chunks are a challenge to deal with, but it also gives it a cool natural camo.  I think you ought to try it, I'd be interested to hear how it goes, I couldn't find much on backing with it but figured I'd give it a shot.  Overall I'm happy with the results.  If nothing else, its kept the bow in one piece. I have some eastern red cedar that I want to tackle at some point and it might just get a dogbane backing as well  :)

Cool bow, Aaron!  I have been working some dogbane for a chokecherry bow I hope to build if it ever warms up enough to get out and find some wood.  I find that, as I see-saw the fibers between my fingers to get the pith out of the stalks, most of the outer bark breaks off too.  It's a tedious job--I work it while watching TV with the family or listening to music--but not too hard.  Has that been your experience too?  A lot of primitive-skills people on youtube mention scraping the bark off or otherwise struggling with it as you've said; other people echo my experience the most of the bark comes off fairly easily as you work the fibers.  I suspect this has something to do with regional differences or different subspecies of the plant.  I find it a lot easier than working sinew.

Whatever the case, it's cool to see somebody actually doing this.  Does the db add draw weight/snap to the bow, do you think?
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2023, 12:47:53 pm »

Cool bow, Aaron!  I have been working some dogbane for a chokecherry bow I hope to build if it ever warms up enough to get out and find some wood.  I find that, as I see-saw the fibers between my fingers to get the pith out of the stalks, most of the outer bark breaks off too.  It's a tedious job--I work it while watching TV with the family or listening to music--but not too hard.  Has that been your experience too?  A lot of primitive-skills people on youtube mention scraping the bark off or otherwise struggling with it as you've said; other people echo my experience the most of the bark comes off fairly easily as you work the fibers.  I suspect this has something to do with regional differences or different subspecies of the plant.  I find it a lot easier than working sinew.

Whatever the case, it's cool to see somebody actually doing this.  Does the db add draw weight/snap to the bow, do you think?

Thanks.  The db added about 3lbs to this one, but I didn't have it in reflex when I glued it on.  I'd like to try and see if that would work, might add a bit more that way.

I do like you with getting the pith out, but most of mine the outer bark wants to hang on.  I get a few stalks worth and rub the bundle between my hands and most falls off that way, but you get little pieces all through the stack.  When I twist cord it tends to all come out as I twist, but for the bow it was just mixed in with the fibers.  I've tried combing, but I feel like I loose too many fibers, so I quit doing that.

Good luck with your bow, I'll be excited to see your experience with db.