Author Topic: Crab apple wood  (Read 1242 times)

Offline Ruckus

Crab apple wood
« on: December 24, 2022, 12:51:40 am »
All,
I live in Southeast Alaska and have been looking for a local wood to cut for bow staves. This year a lot of trees produced crab apples and I finally realized just how many trees are available. Now I have my eye out for a straight piece(not an easy task). I have a few candidates, and have become nervous. How do I drain them?  Leave them as logs, quarter them, what do I seal them with, what sides or the stave do I seal?  I am sure I will make some mistakes, but would like some advice before I start to cut down trees. Any help would be appreciated. Any other siggestions on bow woods would be welcome as well.
Thx

Offline Hamish

Re: Crab apple wood
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2022, 05:11:02 am »
 I would definitely quarter them if the log is big enough. As its winter where you live, seal the ends with PVA glue, and leave the bark on and not have to worry about bugs. You could take the bark off, but then you would need to coat the backs a couple of times with glue. Apple/ crabapple like to check if left in big chunky sections, even when sealed. You can store them in a shed, but not in a heated room.

That reminds me I have a bunch of crab billets that I cut and split about 2 years ago. They should be ready about now.

Offline richgibula

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2022, 12:34:48 pm »
Don't forget about Serviceberry. I wish I could tell you about crab apple.

Online bassman211

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2022, 08:16:41 pm »
 I know nothing of crab apple here in western Pa except I cut a tree big enough tree for 2 staves that had some nice natural reflex 3 or 4 years ago that was straight. In about a week I split it in 2 pieces, and left it my basement 64 degrees and 65% humidity.. In the next 2 days it had propeller twist the likes of which I have never seen. Burned the staves, and that was it for me ,and crab apple.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2022, 10:57:50 pm »
Don’t know what part of SE Alaska you live in but I have read that pacific yew grows in the southern part of SE Alaska. Just thought I’d throw that out there but you probably already know that.

Online bassman211

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2022, 09:13:03 am »
Some one once said yellow birch  lives in your neck of the woods. Supposedly better than the birch that grows near me. Try some of it if grows near you. Try the crab apple also. Yours may never do what mine did. It may be a different kind of crab apple.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2022, 05:49:23 pm »
 Corkscrewing usually occurs with small dia' saplings. You can avoid it by clamping it to a reflexed form or a straight beam/plank.

Online bassman211

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2022, 10:21:14 am »
I do that with other white woods ,but this stave never gave enough time to get roughed to floor tiller and clamped to a form. This is when I was trying to make bows from every local wood I could get my hands on. I have it narrowed to half dozen now.

Offline Ruckus

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2022, 12:08:28 pm »
I cut a few smaller branches that seemed straight, but back in the workshop, they showed a lot more twist and bends than I thought I could correct. I will be looking for a few select trees and try and get one or two so I don’t clear out a portion of my island of crab apples. The grain is very tight, very compact. Can’t wait to get into it. Thank you all for the info.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2023, 10:59:10 pm »
Look for billet Size, you will have more success
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Ruckus

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2023, 05:01:42 am »
The wood I have found appeared to be straight on the tree, but was far from it when I got home. I cut two more trees this weekend. About 6 inches in diameter. I will be splitting and sealing them tomorrow.

BILLETS!!!  That is an awesome idea. Will not need such a long piece. Could be the answer I am looking for.

Thx all