Author Topic: Flowering Dogwood 49 lbs @ 27"  (Read 2617 times)

Offline M2A

Flowering Dogwood 49 lbs @ 27"
« on: December 28, 2022, 10:32:58 pm »
Cut this piece of flowering dogwood Cornus florida back in March of 2018. Suppose I started working on roughing it out in 2019. Was one of those pieces i'd put a little time into then put back in the corner because it was not working out right. The lower limb has a high crown upper limb started with a high crown then flattened out and is a bit concaved near the tip. Picked up on it again a few weeks ago and things seemed to fall into place. My original goal was 50 lbs and every time i'd put it back in the corner I didnt think i'd get 40 lbs from it so pretty pleased with 49 lbs @ 27". It's 63" ntn which is a few inches shorter than I like to work with and is the shortest handled bow I have made to date. Dogwood is some impressive stuff. Stave was a little thin in the handle so added some ebony and tulip wood and made the overlays from the same. Didn't want to cover up that pretty wood with leather so did some wood burning to give a little friction on the handle. Not sure what I think of that but it looks ok.  All shot in and after unstringing holds just under an inch of reflex. All in all pretty pleased with how it turned out. I could go on and on about this build but how bout I just show some pictures. Hope you all had a Merry Christmas and here's to a good 2023. 
Thanks, Mike
IMG_5238 (2) by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_5237 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_5233 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_5234 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_5235 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_5236 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_E5231 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_E5232 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_5240 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_5242 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_5224 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_5227 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_5239 (2) by Mike Allridge, on Flickr                                 

Offline Selfbowman

Re: Flowering Dogwood 49 lbs @ 27"
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2022, 10:49:28 pm »
 lol bow I like it.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 04:10:57 am »
Lovely clean lines. I like the burnt decoration too.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2022, 05:37:57 am »
Beautiful job on that bow, Mike.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2022, 06:33:22 am »
Very nice, beautiful bow, dogwood is a beautiful wood. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2022, 07:30:16 am »
Nice work, beautiful bow
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2022, 07:44:46 am »
Really nice job Mike. Sometimes those ones you keep putting in the corner can really surprise you. Glad you stuck with it. Looks great and the unbraced profile looks to be holding up well.

Bjrogg

PS Merry Christmas and glad to see you have some time to work on bows again
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2022, 07:48:47 am »
Nice bow, very nice. I had a big dogwood 1/4 log I tossed out when we moved and I regret that now. I was tired of moving it around and wasn't going to move it again.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2022, 09:46:42 am »
Very nice dogwood bow. Beautiful tiller and overall look.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Will B

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2022, 09:51:29 am »
Very nice bow, Mike. Did you heat treat some reflex into the bow during tillering?  I like the burnt handle accents. Nice pics also.

Phillip King

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2022, 09:56:19 am »
 :) (SH) :-D Sharp looking, nice tiller. I've been Wondering if anyone would make a Dogwood Bow.

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2022, 01:47:26 pm »
Very nice looking bow. Well done.

Offline lonbow

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2022, 04:34:08 pm »
I really like it! The different coloured woods make a nice contrast. The burnt decoration looks also great!

Offline M2A

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2022, 08:57:02 am »
Thank you gentleman.

BJ-Yeah its was a hectic season but pretty much caught up now. Paper work, meetings and hiding out from the cold for a little while now. With the seasonal help all gone south for the winter I have been helping out making cider but looks like the juice apples will all be used up soon.  Got a couple more tillered but need to make strings and  shoot them in. hope that does not take too long for me but you never know.

PD- thats too bad you got rid of that stave. you got the skill and experience and I think youd like the wood. But I get it, I save too much and sometimes have to throw out (difficult)staves  because get tired of passing on them for pieces I'd rather work on.

I did Will. I heat treated the limbs like I do any other white wood. Started some reflex maybe a little more than half way out on the limb. I suppose I lost 2 inches of that to pull out and set.

Phillip- With an sg of 82 at 12%mc Im supprised you dont see more. Hard to find a straight piece is maybe the biggest problem. I got 2 or 3 more buried in my stave pile but this may have been my best piece and dont know if Ill be able to find another tree I can cut.
I'd love to make a 58-60" bendy from the the stuff.

May have to invest in some better wood burner tools, the ones I have now are cheap. I dont have the artistic skills to do fancy things but could stick with keeping it simple. Thanks again guys.
Mike

Offline rps3

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2022, 12:40:12 pm »
Great looking bow.