Author Topic: Flowering Dogwood 49 lbs @ 27"  (Read 2619 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Re: Flowering Dogwood 49 lbs @ 27"
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2023, 06:59:34 pm »
Congratulations!
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline superdav95

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2023, 02:41:31 am »
Well deserved win.  Very nice. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2023, 06:18:12 am »
Congratulations Mike. Nice bow

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline simk

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2023, 06:28:28 am »
Congrats Mike, thats how a well made bow ought to lookalike 🤗
Cheers
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 06:37:04 am by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline M2A

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2023, 08:29:53 am »
Thanks fellas. This site is about the only thing I do online. When I first got the bug on making a couple bows for me and the kids, every time I would look into a topic on how to or can I use "x" wood it lead me to this forum. Some of the names and people have changed over the last few years but have always been greatful for the information and knowledge here. You all are a very talented bunch of folks. I always enjoy seeing seeing the work you guys put out.
Mike     

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2023, 09:22:00 am »
Nice looking bow
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2023, 12:03:57 pm »
With flowering dogwood, do you harvest in spring/summer and strip the bark immediately and use the first ring as the back as with hickory and other Whitewoods?  Any advice on cutting, splitting, preparing, and curing staves?  Any advice is appreciated.  I have a place I could harvest a few bigger dogwood trunks, and your bow is beautiful and inspiring!  Congrats and thanks!

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2023, 10:53:07 pm »
Very nice bow. Dogwood, working that wood with a spokeshave is wonderful! At least the western that I have worked. So damn long since I made a bow!
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline M2A

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2023, 11:24:20 pm »
Thanks Marc.
ssrhythm-Any of the dogwood I have cut has been in the winter because thats when I have the best oppertunity to do so. But yes use the 1st ring under the bark just like any other white wood. The wood seems to have more dips, bumps, valleys and pin knots that can make things interesting so I suggest leaving staves a bit wide so you have some room to adjust the layout.  Seal the ends right after cutting and splitting I use TBIII but any wood glue would work for that. I'd seal the exposed back with shallac especially if you cut during the growing season, but even in the winter. It seems to have a bit more character than you think under the bark. Hope that all made sense but I basically treated like any other white wood. I think a high crown is best for this wood, if you have a more flat piece or limb you could trap the back 1/8" each side.
If I were you I'd cut one now, Split, seal ends, and then remove the bark and seal backs. Then rough one of them out. Then come summer you could cut some more but that one you started on this winter could be ready to finish up this summer or sooner. I have read that dogwood will warp while drying but I did not find that to be a problem. there may be some internal stress in the wood that may show up right after splitting the staves out tho.
I'd aim for a final dimensions to be around 66 ntn with a max width between 1.75-2" for a bow if the stave allows but you could get away with less for a 26-28" draw with a stiff handle. I believe the max width on the bow I made was just over 1.75" and 63"ntn.
Good luck. Looking forward to see what you are able to make. If I missed anything, feel free to tell me to be more specific.
Mike                     

Offline M2A

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2023, 11:34:15 pm »
Thanks Vinemaple.
I'd agree with this eastern species. Very dense. Makes good curls with sharp tools.