Author Topic: Rawhide question  (Read 906 times)

Offline Ballasted_Bowyer

Rawhide question
« on: December 12, 2022, 12:02:07 am »
On this forum, where can I find out about rawhide backings. I’ve got a dog chew soaking to experiment with but I’d like to know the accepted wisdom as regards pros, cons, and good species choice as regards rawhide backings. I won’t be paying retail for a prepared backing. So if rabbit roadkill or dog chews or anything in between is useful, what do I need to know?
Acts 10:12-13  "It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. Then a voice told him, 'Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.'"

Offline superdav95

Re: Rawhide question
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 01:08:59 am »
Try echo archery.  Reasonably priced.  Proper backings work much better then the dog bones.  It’s much too thick from what I’ve seen and adds a lot of unwanted mass. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2022, 02:48:47 am »
Better you find a deer than a rabbit road kill.
You may also use goat raw hide. Very thin and strong. often used for drums.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022, 03:58:44 am »
Get a whitetail doe and make it yourself. It's a good thickness, free and you'll have enough for several bows.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Ballasted_Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 04:57:53 am »
Thank you for the information. What are the pros and cons of rawhide generally?
Acts 10:12-13  "It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. Then a voice told him, 'Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.'"

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2022, 06:29:44 am »
It protects the back of the bow, somewhat, from use and accidental dings that could raise a splinter, especially on softer wood, or wood with very fine rings. But it's not meant as a substitute for bad grain, ring, or knot violations. It's not good at stopping failures due to such things, though it might keep the bow from completely blowing up and hurting you. Generally it's not needed on good bow wood, well designed, constructed, and tillered. But sometimes it does look cool 😎

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2022, 06:34:00 am »
I have two deer hides drying now in the shop. A doe fawn and a buck. They'll be rawhide in another day or two, but my intent is to continue working them into brain-tanned leather.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2022, 05:21:06 pm »
Rawhide protects the back of the bow from damage. I use it often to protect yew sapwood backs.
Gordon

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2022, 05:29:05 pm »
goat hide is available at drum shops,, its reasonable, thin,,and works great,,usually several bows from one hide, bout as big as a doe from texas,,

Offline Ballasted_Bowyer

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2022, 11:15:45 pm »
Could a too thick piece of rawhide be thinned by sanding the flesh side before soaking?

Offline superdav95

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2022, 01:31:32 am »
Yes.  I’ve done this before.  Sand the rough side and leave the smooth side for your top facing out side.  There are irregularities anyway so sanding won’t affect much. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com