Author Topic: Recurve forms.  (Read 1077 times)

Offline Mafort

Recurve forms.
« on: November 25, 2022, 09:26:44 am »
So I’ve seen a lot of recurves lately and I have done quite a few but never have I done like really right radius recurves where they’d be considered contact recurve. What’s everyone’s forms looking like? Any good ones that are basic to build?

Offline PaSteve

Re: Recurve forms.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 10:22:25 am »
I was advised to use a soup/tomato/coffee can or whatever can you have to draw the radius. Then I cut it out with a jigsaw (band saw probably better) sand it smooth and ready to use. Here's a pic of a form I made for a hackberry static recurve. Nothing fancy but it works for me.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Will B

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2022, 12:40:07 pm »
I have two recurve cauls that I use. One for working recurves and one for statics. I used a gallon paint can to draw the arc, and I cut them out on my bandsaw. I’ve used both dry heat and steam to make the bends, but I have better success with steaming the tips.

Offline darinputman

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2022, 04:45:09 pm »
   This is the form I use most. Nailed on workbench so its always ready. The nail helps keep tip from sliding out when starting bend.
   Bow pictured was bent on this form, short and tight bend works best for me.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 04:22:45 pm »
These are my single limb forms I use for reflexing and recurving. All made from scraps...
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC