Author Topic: leaving bows in cars too long  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Fox

leaving bows in cars too long
« on: October 28, 2022, 09:40:16 am »
How damaging can it be to leave a hickory self bow in the car for a week? in the 60s to 20s and and low humidity, at all?
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline StickMark

Re: leaving bows in cars too long
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2022, 10:30:11 am »
If the humidity was low, all that occurred, in my experience with temp's, is that the bow gained weight at 20 degrees and lost it as temp's rose to 60.

I tested this range, 20 degrees to 70 degrees, last winter, and hickory bows, even sinewed, gained around 3 pounds in the hour or so outside.

Offline organic_archer

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2022, 10:44:36 am »
I can’t see that being damaging at all. You might notice fluctuations in performance, as mentioned. The car thing mostly applies to hot summer days. On 80-100 degree days, the temp of a closed car cab can reach 120-150 degrees.
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2022, 04:14:06 pm »
As long as you don't strain an overheated hickory bow or any wood bow for that matter there shouldn't be a problem. Like said above there may be a change in performance or draw weight but that usually fluctuates with the changes in humidity anyway. Hickory, unlike other bow woods like to be dry, even as low as 5% to 6%. Most other bow woods like 9% to 11%.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2022, 05:07:02 am »
I USE hot cars to finish drying out staves when in a hurry. It is also handy to push the last of the moisture out of a sinew-backed bow.

Last spring I sinew-backed a hickory bow that I had toasted into an inch of deflex. Immediately after the hide glue set up I had that bow on a scale and noted the weight in grams. By monitoring the weight loss and charting the rate of loss I could calculate when the moisture loss had really slowed down. At that point, the bow went into my Kia Sportage parked in the sun. I tracked moisture loss morning and night until it just plain had no loss for days. Temps in the vehicle regularly went to 150 in the late afternoon.

So now I had an idea of the maximum dryness that stick was gonna see short of placing it in a serious oven! I have tracked the spring back weight, it has gained 4-5 grams (4-5 cc's of moisture).

TL;DR Your wood got dry. It will reabsorb moisture from your ambient humidity and everything will be fine.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BetterTrees

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2022, 03:53:49 pm »
I exploded my plum recurve after it sat in the dash for a while and I didn't let it rehydrate. It felt super heavy and I gave it a couple of half draws before going back to anchor and it blew on me.
I'm sure it would have been fine after a day or so in wetter conditions.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2022, 04:22:46 pm »
Patience, Grasshopper!   ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC