Author Topic: does a bow with a shelf perform better  (Read 6913 times)

Offline bassman211

Re: does a bow with a shelf perform better
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2022, 06:30:52 pm »
Brad... I have made quite a few horse bows over the years both ways. I found out real quick, and so did they that an arrow rest, and string  nock point was mush easier for the grand sons to shoot. 2 good reference points for the arrow that are easily managed even by youngsters. So their is that too, but it is still just a personal choice.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2022, 07:41:02 pm »
good point,, didnt think of the youngsters,,

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2022, 07:34:47 am »
I don't think it changes the performance of a bow much if any but i like a shelf, nothing fancy , just something to hold my arrow when hunting, I always hang my bow and you can't do that with an off the hand bow, If I try and hold my bow for any length of time my old hands go to sleep so I hang it. Wasn't there so not sure how the natives done it and really don't care it works for me, It's hard to draw a line on what some think is primitive so I don't try, I just do what works for me and let everyone else do the same,no disrespect just do what works for you. I shoot selfbows That's it.  ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2022, 11:46:53 am »
Keep shootin Pappy,,  hope you got some deer meat in the freezer,,I dont think deer know if you got a shelf or not,, :) (-S

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2022, 07:31:13 am »
I plane on it Brad, I think at least this year they wished i was shooting an off the knuckle bow and my hands had went to sleep. ;) :) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2022, 10:24:57 am »
I always install a slightly raised horn dot on my arrow shelf as an indicator where to lay the arrow.That along with a dental floss string nock gets me right every time.
Each to his own I say but it's still a FG mentality with a shelf.
Personally I was not influenced by shooting FG bows before making self bows.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2022, 01:03:25 pm »
I've never put a rest on any of my bows; I just like the feel of shooting off the hand.  But one thing I have started doing is making a contoured handle, just a little dip for the web of my thumb to go in.  The consistent, effortless hand placement has really helped with my accuracy, especially while hunting and field shooting.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline willie

« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2022, 04:02:56 pm »
This site is a slowly, sinking ship and the PA "magazine" staff made it that way.

Have you mentioned this to the staff? It would be a shame if the site were to go down.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2022, 01:58:00 pm »
I always install a slightly raised horn dot on my arrow shelf as an indicator where to lay the arrow.That along with a dental floss string nock gets me right every time.

I was Ed. They are right. Just saying . Is it primitive? Probably not. Is it all natural materials? Yes. Did I scape the bows with a rock? No. Are fg and Arvin bows more forgiving, easier to tune and shoot ? Yes Do they perform Better in flight distance shoots and most tournaments ? Yes Did they have the same type contest in years gone by. Of course they did. I bought a bunch of probably 70 year old flight shafts  last summer. Are you they primitive? Don’t think so they had plastic vanes and plastic nocks. I have to remove those to meet the current rules. This has been interesting and fun though guys. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2022, 05:35:59 pm »
I think at close range,, hunting,, not an issue

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2022, 06:42:08 pm »
It’s all good guys ! I’m the weird one.🤠
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2022, 08:13:13 pm »
weird is good,, ;D ;D ;D

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2022, 09:39:24 pm »
Based off the original question, does a bow with a shelf perform better well in my hands I have to say it does. I spent years making every replica under the Sun besides a horn bow. Everything from Shorty's with sinew strings to long d-bows. I could never develop a consistent draw cycle with any of them. Not until recently I figured out a consistent cycle and realized all my areas of Target panic. Two of the main ones were string slap on the arm ( now I always wear an armed guard) and running an arrow over the top of my hand. Figured if I need to wear a bracer glove I might as well just cut a shelf in. That's just what works for me, I like them all but can only shoot some. I love the nostalgia of a truly primitive setup but I do know I certainly don't belong in the woods with one

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #88 on: December 02, 2022, 09:58:11 am »

I was Ed. They are right. Just saying . Is it primitive? Probably not. Is it all natural materials? Yes. Did I scape the bows with a rock? No. Are fg and Arvin bows more forgiving, easier to tune and shoot ? Yes Do they perform Better in flight distance shoots and most tournaments ? Yes Did they have the same type contest in years gone by. Of course they did. I bought a bunch of probably 70 year old flight shafts  last summer. Are you they primitive? Don’t think so they had plastic vanes and plastic nocks. I have to remove those to meet the current rules. This has been interesting and fun though guys. Arvin
That's all fine to me Arvin.Each to their own.You have fun.I will too.I've heard it all before.Even to the point that as soon as you start up the chainsaw your out of the primitive world.
I've tested many many bows shooting with the set up I use with witnesses and other competitors too and some bows do very well.10 grain arrows,chrongraph
[into the low 180's]/flight [into the low 220 foot range]/ target/and hunting wise over the years with many deer kills without a need to convince people a certain way.
I'm not shooting 450 grain arrows on a 50# bow.
I agree natural materials in the bow is the connection here IMO.

Based off the original question, does a bow with a shelf perform better well in my hands I have to say it does. I spent years making every replica under the Sun besides a horn bow. Everything from Shorty's with sinew strings to long d-bows. I could never develop a consistent draw cycle with any of them. Not until recently I figured out a consistent cycle and realized all my areas of Target panic. Two of the main ones were string slap on the arm ( now I always wear an armed guard) and running an arrow over the top of my hand. Figured if I need to wear a bracer glove I might as well just cut a shelf in. That's just what works for me, I like them all but can only shoot some. I love the nostalgia of a truly primitive setup but I do know I certainly don't belong in the woods with one
Paul I used to have string slap long ago when first starting to make bows.I use a minimal amount of equipment now.Actually I can shoot without an arm bracer myself if I want to.The only reason I do use it because after many shots with an arrow things can wear down.Using FF string I use a glove as it can get abrasive after a while.
People don't inspect their arrows enough far as I'm concerned.

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline superdav95

« Reply #89 on: December 02, 2022, 12:39:11 pm »
Looks good Ed.  What kind of leather did you use for that?
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com