Author Topic: Shavings  (Read 3480 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Shavings
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2022, 06:23:51 am »
It performs very well.PITA to string up though.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2022, 05:18:45 am »
Sinew backed black locust with horn laminations on the belly? That must be an incredible shooter!

Ed went a little crazy a while back when horn belly lams caught his fancy. He got wrapped up in pushing his skills up to the next level, as that bow surely shows. You gotta watch this guy. He gets the bit between his teeth and sets his eye on something, shavings tend to fly until he gets it right.  You could do worse than dog his heels and pester him with questions. Ed's a wealth of information and he's never stingy with it.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2022, 06:04:49 am »
Well JW has seen a few of my creations.
Bow making from natural materials is a blast once a person gets to understanding the qualities different components have to offer.
Getting the ground work down from making good self bows is a good start.There are certain things a person can not deviate from with bow making.
Then a person can expand with ideas knowing what works and what does'nt work.It'll give you insight that sometimes is not easy to get others to understand.Some don't feel the need to go any farther and some do.
You can't be afraid to fail.A person just needs to keep trying.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Zugul

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2022, 11:43:29 am »
my only problem with trying a lot is that I don't have many staves left, and the few I've got have quite a bit of problems ( a lot of sideways bend/uneven reflex, knots I can't work around,...). I've tryed looking for good bow wood in my local stores but I could not find anything good or unexpensive, so my resources are quite limited and I can't really afford many mistakes. That's why I'm trying to procede as slow as I can with my current build  :BB

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2022, 07:26:46 pm »
Once a person makes enough bows,some staves that a person thinks are undoable become doable.To get into extreme profiles there will be unforseen challenges to overcome even if you have access to many staves.
Making mistakes is all a part of learning.
Good luck with your current build.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 08:02:44 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed