Author Topic: Center Shot "Cyclop" Self Bow  (Read 2863 times)

Offline dreamcraft_archery

Center Shot "Cyclop" Self Bow
« on: November 03, 2022, 05:44:46 am »
Hi guys!

I decided to share one of my most interesting recent builds. It's black locust self flat bow drawing 30lb at 28", 68" ntn. The stave had huge nasty knot right in the middle. Seeing it right away I knew what I'm gonna do with this wood piece. This stave was destined to become a center shot and finally I decided to make it happen.
But the character of the stave was far beyond the knot. Both limbs have natural reflex, upper (right one) one higher -just behind the handle, and at the bottom limb (left one) tips are slightly reflexed. The stave required string alignment heat corrections too. I used both steam (on the handle) and dry heat (on the tips). The bow took nearly no set. I could make it slightly stronger but still I'm happy with the result. Can't wait to do more tests on performance and accuracy.

You can see the whole building proccess in my video:
https://youtu.be/MsM-GDjzFdw

Have a great day guys!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Center Shot "Cyclop" Self Bow
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 06:16:09 am »
I like it.Cool name too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline organic_archer

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 10:39:41 am »
Nice! Might be the first time I’ve ever seen one like that! Cool design idea.
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 11:42:13 am »
Very cool bow. How well does it handle the archers paradox of the arrow going through the hole?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2022, 12:10:02 pm »
Fantastic piece of work. I've thought about doing a center shot riser like that, but never in a knot hole. That stave was perfect for it and the natural grain flow keeps the strength without the riser being too bulky.

Did you have to alter arrow spine to get it shooting properly with the center shot riser?

Mark

Offline superdav95

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2022, 02:38:20 pm »
Wow. Very nicely done. You’ve given me some inspiration to do one.  I’ve got a similar stave with a knot that I’ve been wondering about.  Thanks for posting such a great build. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Online Muskyman

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2022, 03:30:25 pm »
Yes, very cool bow. I’m amazed at the tiller at full draw from that piece of wood. I also wondered about the archers paradox Pat. We need a nice slow motion video of that bow shooting.

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2022, 12:34:32 pm »
If that string lines up, you should be able to severely minimize the paradox issue, as it should shoot some really stiff arrows like a champ!  I’ve got an Osage stave I’ve thought about doing this with…have not mustered up the nerve to start it yet.  Let us know what the “sight-picture” is like when you are shooting it.  Awesome bow!

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2022, 01:32:25 pm »
Cool bow. That one was interesting to teller I bit.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2022, 05:40:16 pm »
Nicely done. Love the tiller. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2022, 09:03:03 pm »
If that string lines up, you should be able to severely minimize the paradox issue, as it should shoot some really stiff arrows like a champ!

There are still paradox issues to deal with if it is shot with fingers, necessitating a fairly flexible arrow. This bow is essentially the same as center shot ILF Olympic archery risers and they need the arrows properly spined to work well. For a 40# @ 28" bow and 31" arrows they will typically shoot around 600 spine arrows, which isn't very stiff. Many compounds use arrows in the 250-300 spine range, but they are shot with a release which greatly minimizes the string whip compared to fingers.

Mark

Offline Stephen

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2023, 07:51:56 am »
I have got to vote for Cyclops.  it was a very difficult decision but the sheer guts of starting out with such a problem and overcoming it so ingeniously and skillfully pushes the decision over the line.  (I would have adopted my standard operating procedure - curl up crying!). 
Stephen

Offline Thorsten

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2023, 02:46:54 pm »
Since I started only 1 1/2 year ago on bending wood, I would't  even have started that stave. Looking at the the low brace tiller, i would have been convinced in my thought…
Thank for encouraging me to try and believe!

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2023, 10:42:52 am »
Congratulations on a difficult build. How hard is it to aim with it? The one I built has such a reduced sight window I can look down the arrow at the target. How do you aim yours?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2023, 08:18:11 am »
Now that is cool, nice job on a challenging stave. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good