Author Topic: Western yew in New Mexico?  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Fox

Western yew in New Mexico?
« on: October 21, 2022, 10:50:02 pm »
Is there? Might be going out there for a few months for a conservation corps and I’m wondering if there’s yew. Thinking it’s to far south?
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Muskyman

Re: Western yew in New Mexico?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2022, 07:02:36 pm »
Funny you ask this question because I’ve been looking at where it grows and if it’s legal to harvest..
It mainly grows along the pacific coast. From basically Alaska to Northern California. Also not as plentiful as it once was because they discovered a chemical compound, paclitaxel, that can be used to treat ovarian and breast cancers in its bark. And before they found another source the drug companies were cutting it like crazy. My wife loves Oregon and so I was thinking about a two for one trip.. make momma happy and scoring some nice yew staves for me. To answer your question I don’t think so but check the internet or ask someone out there. If you do find some I’ve read that pretty much the things are toxic so look into that and take whatever precautions you need.

Good luck and hope you find some.

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2022, 08:19:58 pm »
Is there? Might be going out there for a few months for a conservation corps and I’m wondering if there’s yew. Thinking it’s to far south?

I couldn't find anything specific on it but chances are if you do find a yew species growing there it will be more like a bush.

Offline Fox

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2022, 08:58:19 pm »
Okay thanks guys
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline willie

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2022, 11:58:04 pm »
I have found english yew in and near old graveyards on the east coast.

It was a common ornamental near churches and graveyards a few hundred years back, and I found volunteers, most likely spread by birds eating the seeds, in nearby low lying areas that were never cleared for farmland

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2022, 09:14:42 am »
Willie, have you been able to harvest any of it? And if so, did it make a bow?

Offline willie

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2022, 04:45:12 pm »
did not harvest it at the time. I was in the graveyard for a funeral and took a walk-about afterwards. Sometimes you have to limit your stave collecting to times when others won't  think you're nuts.
But I know just where to go if I ever get back east.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 04:49:53 pm by willie »

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2022, 08:01:34 pm »
I agree with you. A funeral isn’t the time to start cutting down trees. Although I might have to start walking around some of the old cemeteries around me. )W(