Author Topic: Pair of brain tanned britches  (Read 4659 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Pair of brain tanned britches
« on: October 15, 2022, 09:57:48 am »
Finally finished up in my spare time on the large pair of buck hides shown in the More Hidework post in Around the Campfire thread.
From some self bow kills with dogwood arrows to complete the process.
Used an old worn out jean pattern transferred to card board.34" inseam and waist on this pair.
Gave it 4" wide extra leather above the waist line with these large bucks.Nice place for 3" wide harness leather belt to go.
Reinforced the fly line and the waistline with double thickness.
Some elk horn buttons and a deer print using an acrylic pen on wedge sewn into the cuff at the bottom.
Hand sewn the side seams and crotch with atrificial sinew and the rest on the machine.Used the belly leather for the fringe.Fits good.
Plenty heavy enough pair of pants.Just need to break it in now.I like the rutting scars from antler tips fighting on the one lower cuff of one of the pants pipe.
No shot at a deer yet.Some bucks cruising by out of range but enjoying the show anyway.Some scrapes showing up too.It's been awful windy lately.

;D

« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 07:54:26 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Stixnstones

Re: Pair of brain tanned britches
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2022, 06:34:13 pm »
Those are awesome. Started a pair 2 years ago and never finished them, thanx for the inspiration
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline BrianS

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2022, 08:38:56 pm »
Very Nice Work!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2022, 06:01:31 am »
Without an abundance of hides at 1 time and collected over the years one can think exactly what he or she wants to make for themselves.
It's always a hesitating moment cutting out your pattern.Knowing full well how much time and effort you've put into the hide already and how soft and nice that it is.
But you'll get over that.Always keep your scraps of significant size.Many other things can be used or made from them.Small bags,lace,and sizes that you can bead or quill on to attatch to a garment.
For garments such as pants or shirts matching them according to their thickness is best.
I can tell you using white tailed deer especially bucks that are at least 4.5 to 5.5 years old is more than thick enough for pants.
Does of at least 2.5 years old are suitable for shirts.
Yearling deer of less than 1 year old and most pronghorn antelope or domestic goats are almost too thin to use,but have used them before with success and for other things also.
Holes that are made in the hide from broadheads are barely noticeable when properly sewn together while dressing and smoking the hide during the brain tanning process.Final sewing is done with real sinew before smoking.Real sinew will never break or unravel after drying.
They add character or tell a story IMO along with all the other scars.I tell how that is done properly in the "Big fella into Buckskins/Smoking/Lots of pics/Items made" on this same thread but about 10 pages back now.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 06:09:49 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2022, 06:17:44 am »
If someone would like to short cut the process of owning a pair of brain tanned pants my old pair in like new condition would be available in trade of like value and useful to me.PM me if interested.

BowEd
Ed

Offline Chumash

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2022, 02:30:35 pm »
Great work. Congratulations!

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2022, 02:35:16 pm »
Fine work there Ed.  :OK

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2022, 06:01:53 pm »
Nice work Ed, beautiful work.I have been wanting a pair of paints but not much on sewing , been talking to Becka Parker , I usually trade her a hide our 2 to do my sewing work, she loves that and is good at it like you are, I am much better at tanning the hides that sewing them into anything useful.  ;) :) :) She told me as you stated above to get a pair of old paints I didn't mind giving up and she would make the pattern  form them. She has made me a couple of shirts that fit and wear nice but paints are different and I have just been holding off. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2022, 08:36:01 pm »
Ede, pants look really good and really like your extra at the flair at the cuff. Like others I to was afraid to cut my own hides. Like Pappy I also had Rebecca Parker make me a beautiful coat, Last year i got the nerve to make my own pants, they came out pretty good for a first time try, I also took apart a pair of good fitting jeans for a pattern, A good pair of pants have a whole lot of sewing going on. I need to get a pic up of what I have made so far. Pants, leggings, bag, flute bag, and a 2 hide shirt. The jacket that Rebecca made is just the pride of my wardrobe. I have not tried sewing with sinew yet but sewed most of my clothes with brain tan laces. Also have tried a little quill work just to frustrate myself. :( Bob

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2022, 03:45:51 am »
There's about 20' or so of sewing going on sewing a pants up.I did this one mostly by hand with half thickness of artificial sinew.That's more than strong enough.I estimate it takes around 7 to 8 hours to sew.A few hours of cutting lace too if desired.I like to make sure it's sewn good.I usually overbuild things for durability reasons.

I 4 way round braided close to 20' of 3/8" rope from neck lace for future bags' shoulder straps etc.I damn near had to get on the roof of the house to let all the strands unravel while I was braiding it......ha ha.Tough as hell rope!!!

For these clothing projects I usually keep card board patterns around for various different projects,but going down to the thrift or goodwill store can get a person a pattern that suits themselves.

I think this is my third pair of brain tanned pants I've sewn together.Did a few aluminum sulfate tanned ones also for other people as gifts or sold them in the past.Can't remember now.A number of shirts also.1 coat out of seven deer hides.A few pair of moccassins.A few pairs of full length leggins.Not to mention all the different types bags[tipi,possibles,strike-a-lite,and pipe]/hats/and quivers.
Not to mention all the rawhide accoutraments made.

I did like your beaver mittens Outbackbob.I'm working out a trade deal with an old beaver trapper/coon hunter friend to make him a beaver tail wallet from a beaver he'll trap and I'll keep the hide.I made a pair from sheep skin years ago that are warm as all get out.

I do remember making a whole outfit pants/shirt/and coyote hat for a friend that supplied me with road killed deer hides from a rendering plant that he worked at.I had to laugh....He said his wife ran into the other room when he came out of the bathroom wearing the whole outfit.....ha ha.So he obliged her and chased her around the house.....ha ha.His kids loved it.

Robin can't hardly believe I get it done the way I do.Made her a dress also.Hard to understand I guess.I'm in my glory usually putting it together seeing it evolve.It kinda makes a person marvel at the talent seamstress's have knowing different types of stitches.It also makes one realize the talent the natives had to do this in primitive conditions and with primitive tools.

Brain tan against the skin has a warm feel to it.Not cold or clammy like other tans.It's the connoisseur of deer tans.I'm sure you enjoy your garments you've made for yourselves fellas.Special feeling making clothes out of deer you shot yourself and with bows and arrows you've made for yourself also.
Many years ago I made a few large red cedar boxes to store things in.

I'd love to see others work from brain tan or other type leather for that matter.I guess it's just in some and some not to work with leather.Satisfying hobby I would say.

I've been in communication with an outstanding quill worker.His work is impeccable.Have all the supplies and access for more.It'll take a little practice for that skill.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 06:38:40 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2022, 05:35:44 pm »
Ed, here is a start on another pr. of britches ;D. Shot this doe on sat. with my 50cal. flintlock. Got this hide framed up today, grinding Hamburg tomorrow. Lots of hard but enjoyable work from pulling a trigger until an article of clothing. Bob.  dang not smart enough to rotate picture.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 06:12:42 pm by Outbackbob48 »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2022, 06:34:51 am »
Excellent....Congrats on the deer.Nice job of skinning and framing.Nice large doe.
The process or the journey begins.....To finish out matching hides for thickness and size for pants pipes on this latest posted pants I think I waited 7 years.Mainly because really large bodied bucks are harder to get shots at.It was worth the wait.Just a personal thing with me making things from deer shot by myself with weapons I've made.
You can see in your picture by the color of the hair exactly where the thicker leather is.
Years ago I had access to multiple deer hides skinned properly from a rendering plant selling hundreds and hundreds [more than likely into the thousands] of square footage of brain tanned leather and these days many hunters don't want the hides either.I could acquire lots more hides if I wanted to,but I would want to do the skinning also.Having my retirement financial status secure these days the pursuit of more deer hides is not the goal any more.
How many does do you think it'll take for a pants for yourself?I guess I'm asking is how long of an inseam do you need?
If your lucky enough for warm enough weather it should dry out for a dry scrape dehairing.
Right now here it's just too cold already.Got space available in the freezer right now.I need to make a bow making/brain tanning wood stove heated shop one of these days.
I have 1 tag for a doe for later into late december for my .54 johnny brown hawken.

Here's the type flair on the cuff I did on the third pair.No fringe at all on this pair.Just a trade wool welt on the seam.
Horse tracks.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 10:20:20 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2022, 12:19:52 pm »
Very nice pants. Love your bead works
I hope to see also some quillworks in the future
It would be perfect on your already great items

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2022, 09:02:58 am »
I've dabbled with doing quill work before in the past,but was never satisfied with my work.
BowEd
Ed

Offline chamookman

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2022, 05:00:17 am »
Thanks for sharing - I'm always in awe of Peoples skills . I've made alot of differant things, but being able to Sew things nicely eludes Me  (A).  Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.