Author Topic: a little glue testing  (Read 2618 times)

Offline simk

Re: a little glue testing
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2022, 06:46:21 am »
First glueup is done, maple, ash, yew, oak, looking good. Bending it tomorrow. Next one will be a bit more of a challenge for my ordinary wood glue: higher drawweight, tropical hardwoods and bamboo. Stay tuned, I will report 🤗
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Chumash

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2022, 08:30:40 am »
For tropical hardwood I had used "Bindan Cin" a resorcinol glue like urac.  It is a D4, but two components glue: a white powder and a dark red resin.
In my opinion the best glue for gluing wood to wood (gap filling and a long open time (90 min), heat resistant after hardening up to 170°C, recommended for oily tropical woods and it has seawater resistant gluelines).
May be not available in Switzerland?

Offline simk

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2022, 09:53:25 am »
Thanks Chumash, I read about this type of glue. Seems it has come a little out of fashion, but a good one for sure. Think its still available and recommended in tbb4 for laminating. Also read it leaves dark gluelines too...maybe an interestig accent. 😇
Actually I'm not looking for the best glue but only for a good enough and easy to use, non toxic 🤗
Just experimenting 🤗
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 09:56:52 am by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Chumash

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2022, 03:12:14 am »
Bindan Cin has the colour of the left lamination, may be a little darker.
For sure, it is available but I don't know the import regulations of swizerland - the white powder contains Formaldehyde.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2022, 11:58:01 am »
Actually I'm not looking for the best glue but only for a good enough and easy to use, non toxic 🤗

If non-toxic is important then none of the urea glues (unibond, urac, others) are good for you. They all contain formaldehyde and are in the same class as epoxy in terms of not wanting to breathe the fumes.

Mark

Offline simk

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2022, 12:24:40 pm »
Non toxic is the goal Mark!
And it looks like the ordinary wood glue is good enough for my bowmaking.
It even makes the nicest gluelines I ever did 👍

Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose...my maple obviously does not work as a backing 😭. I will stick with boo and ash for backings therefore but will also oak give a try. Again what learned.

Cheers

« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 12:34:15 pm by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline simk

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2022, 12:26:01 pm »
--- the queen rules ----