Author Topic: hickory backed oak  (Read 3278 times)

Offline david w.

hickory backed oak
« on: May 26, 2008, 05:06:21 pm »
While my dad and brother were looking for grills at lowes i ran over to the wood section and picked up a 1x3x6 oak board.  HOw does oak and hickory work together?  Would hickory over power the oak?

i was thinking 1 3/4 at the fades tapering the last foot to 1/2 and having the bow 66" ntn pulling 55@26"

o and an 8" stiff handle section
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 05:18:47 pm by david w. »
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: hickory backed oak
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 05:54:40 pm »
David, Hickory backed red oak works great. I made this bow in 2003 from Home Depot red oak. It is 2 1/4" wide, 63 1/2" long, 53#@28" and shoots great. I believe I put 3" of reflex in at glue up.  I have let lots of folks shoot it at different draw length just to see how it would hold up and you can see from the side profile that it can take it. At the time I built this one I also built a 68" hickory backed bow that was 1 3/4" most of the way out the limb before tapering to the tips. I was very disappointed with its performance.     Pat

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline david w.

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 11:00:44 pm »
dang pat the second design was the one i layed out. O well i havent cut it so i will change it.  So it was a pyramid bow?  How does 2" tapering to 1/2" sound and 66" ntn with a 9" stiff handle section?   I want to cut a rest but if it wont work i wont.

How would maple work on oak?  If maple would be any better i can use that.

Offline david w.

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 11:19:56 pm »
i think i am going to leave the design i have layed out.  66" ntn 1 3/4" at the fades and the lst 12" tapering to 1/2 and a 9" riser.  If it doesnt work all that well its ok and i learned something

Offline david w.

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 11:50:14 pm »
well i changed my ming again.  I will do your design.  How long are those fades?  How wide is your grip and is it bendy handle?  Could you give me some more dimesnsion please?

radius

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 12:25:29 am »
hey, you can use your original design, and then when you get to tillering, take it off the sides...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 01:48:11 am »
David, This bow is a symmetrical design, 63 1/2" long with a 4" handle then 4" out to the widest point then a straight taper to 1/2" tips. Limb thickness(backing and belly) is approx 7/16" at the fades, 3/8" about mid limb and 1/4" at the tips. Hickory backing is about 1/8" thick.
   Maple would work fine with red oak.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline david w.

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 12:12:12 pm »
Thanks!  Mine will be 2"  wide though thats as wide as my backing strip goes  and i think i will make mine a little longer

Offline david w.

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 12:59:10 pm »
I always hear how your handle has to go 1/2" past the fade.  How did you do that?  Just leave the grip the full 7/8?  So since the fades are 4" that means its 12" from fade to fade right?