Author Topic: i think its getting close now  (Read 1028 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
i think its getting close now
« on: September 26, 2022, 04:06:37 pm »
I have been using a gizmo, (and winding it in a bit for the D-profile), to get this far.  Seems to me the inner is ever so slightly too strong on the right hand limb.  Don't think its much and the profile changes if the string is drawn even 1/4" to the left or right.  Could even be that  the tree should be moved over a tad.  Would welcome your thoughts, really want to get this all wrapped up now, need to move on to finishing my other project. Thanks in advance,
Andrew
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 06:45:49 pm by stuckinthemud »

Offline superdav95

Re: i think its geting close now
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2022, 05:51:23 pm »
It’s Lookin good.  I agree that the right inner is a bit stiff but also the outer third might be little stuff too from looking the pic. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: i think its getting close now
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2022, 11:58:26 pm »
The outer right limbs looks stiff and the bend could come in to the handle more. Where the left limb bends it bends nice to my eye.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 03:08:22 pm »
You need more near handle wood bending...more than a little.

The stave is whip tillered meaning too much of the outer third of each of the limbs is bending too much.

Imagine a radar or tv dish shape...bend starts near center (handle in a bow) and continues...increasing outwards.Thanks to Tim Baker for that illustration.

You will find that such a bow is too hard to bring to your full draw ie much stacking, because there is so little woo moving.

Pardon my honesty. My early bows were similar.

Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2022, 05:33:44 pm »
There can never be too much honest criticism, how can I improve if people don’t point out where I’m going wrong?  Ever listened to a singer on a talent show and said “why didn’t someone tell them they can’t sing?” I was trying for an ellipse with stiff tips on the last few inches. It’s not a profile I’ve ever tried before as I usually take the bend almost to the nocks.  so, I’ve gone too far in the limb centre/outer and not enough near the handle?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2022, 06:40:30 pm »
Yes, more bending in the handle, stickinthemud.
By the way you have a great attitude!
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2022, 09:51:19 pm »
you have to just keep making and trying,,, improvement is slow and hard earned, but worth it,,