Author Topic: Worried about checks in your bow?  (Read 1408 times)

Online superdav95

Re: Worried about checks in your bow?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2023, 09:39:19 am »
Thorston.  There maybe a few things going on here.  It may be that the bow is canted a bit or that the bottom limb is slightly stiffer which is normal to do.  It also could be the limb that has the heavy glue line and purposely left a touch stiffer due to this.  Many possibilities. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2023, 09:40:45 am »
Thorsten, I think I was lucky getting it tillered at all. I wasn't worried about being out of perfect tiller but whether I could get it to hold up at all.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2023, 09:48:41 am »
I think you might be a little bit up the string with your grip too.

That might make the top limb look stiffer.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Thorsten

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2023, 03:18:30 am »
@ Pat, the lucky one is allways the winner; my reply wasn't a critic, but since I only finished a dozen bow by now I curious about it all

@superdav95, it helps me a lot, when things are explained - thank you!

At the moment I'm working on my first Hickory bow and after steambending the tipp, repairing to cracks, the tiller is not symetric any more and Imhaven't got a glue where this comes from… so maybe I leave it as it is, cause it shoots 170f/s and to where I aim ;-)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2023, 10:45:59 am »
Thorsten, if you don't ask questions how are you supposed to learn. I don't mind criticism and I post my work here for all to scrutinize, criticize and even admire so don't feel bad about it. Like we always say here the only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask.
If you have checks(running with the grain) on your bow, unless they run off the limb they are usually only a cosmetic problem and not a structural one. If they concern you, you can put a wrap at each end of the check if it is long or in the middle is it is short.

Brian, I have the nock point set at 1/4" above horizontal. That seem to be where she shoots best. Also, the top limb has that knot that runs across the limb about 12" below the tip and I left it a bit thicker at that knot. I'm kind of expect that knot to be the end of this bow but I'll jump off that bridge when I get there.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC