Author Topic: Finally got my second shooter and first character bow! 63" Black Locust, 40#@28"  (Read 1612 times)

Offline Likemp

Finished up this simple 63" black locust flat bow from a fun stave.
The limbs have a little bit of opposite propeller twist that even each other out nicely and puts the string straight through the handle. But that, plus the dog leg just beyond the fade in the upper limb, made it a bit harder to tiller.
About 40# at 28", finished with several coats of boiled linseed oil, homemade waxed linen string.

Offline Likemp

More Pics...

Offline Likemp

More...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
That's one you can be proud of. A bit stiff on the outer limbs but still a good looking bow. Well done.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Will B

Nice looking bow on a challenging stave. I’m currently working on a black locust bow with lots of dips and a snakey profile. Congratulations on a nice black locust bow.

Offline Hamish

Good job especially as its your second shooter. You handled the character really well. I really like this bow.

Offline Likemp

Pat B - Thanks very much! And I appreciate your eyes, I'm still doing some sanding on it so I'll focus on those outer limbs a bit and keep an eye on the curves.

Will B - Thank you! BL is all I have to work with, and none of it is straight or knot-free, but I'm loving it. I hope to see yours posted on here!

Hamish - You flatter me, thank you very much!

Offline M2A

Nice Brace, f/d, unstrung profiles! Looks like you did a good job on that upper limb. Well Done, congrats!
Mike 

Offline bradsmith2010

beautiful :)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
good work, handsome bow :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Very nice job, beautiful bow. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Very nicely done. Very impressive. You have that humpy area just off the fades making for a difficult tiller and you also have different entry points for the limbs in to the handle making for a tough tiller.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
That looks great!  Love how all the bumps and dips even out at full-draw.  Well done!
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline gifford

Nice job on a bit of tricky stave. It's fun, isn't it.